C20 for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
People talk comfort of a squarebody vs OBS all the time. Ive had two 3/4 ton OBS trucks. Neithier was at the caliper of a truck i have now. Not only do my squarebody runs better with less electronics... my 87 turns more heads and people give me the thumbs up all the time. Only thing i hate about my truck now is that when i stop somewhere " Do you want to sell that truck" or " ill trade you my cateye" NO THANKS!!

I have not owned a GMT-400 anything newer for that matter, but as a mechanic I've gotten to work on them. I would be willing to own a GMT-400, but nothing newer. I just don't like the newer trucks. I've really not all that fond of the GMT-400, but I like the vortec motors.

I have the same problem you do, plus I have a dump kit on the factory box, so it's easier to put gas in with the bed open. That's a real attention getter apparently. I don't mind talking about my truck but sometimes I'm just not in the mood or in a hurry... You know what I mean.

Just a few thoughts- 95% of the time, and you can fact check me on this, the average late model truck owner does not tow any more than a light duty trailer with some lumber, a mower or UTV and some bales of hay.
I belong to the other 5%. I use my late model 2500 to haul vehicles, tractors, excavators, 5 tons of rock, 4 tons of livestock feed, 30' RVs, and on and on.
I was around when the Squarebodies were new and doing about the same thing. Speaking personally, modern technology has made my Silverado a better tool for me. Built in trailer braking, backup camera, better mirrors, stronger drivetrain, brakes, etc. However, that said, I could do it all with my 80 K15 or my 85 K10. I just choose not to.
Many of the updates and luxuries of my newer truck spoil me into believing they are necessities. They are mostly not. Repairs on my old trucks are easier, cheaper and more frequent. The fun factor is higher.
My old trucks are not tools anymore, though they are not retired from hard work.
I pump ten times and crank so I can have fun.
It all just boils down to preference.
It does all boil down to preference, and I will say my RV has a rear facing camera and that sure is nice for monitoring the Jeep when we are towing it, and I would not mind having that ability in my 84 C20.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
I have several questions. Im new here as well. First post

I gets a profit share bonus in Feburary. Im go be in the market for a C20 pickup. However, i do have some expectations out the truck. I have a camaro and a 20ft car hauler that i will tow to big stick shift races.

I was go source a cat eye truck but a quick look into marketplace i notice something about the 5.3/4L60E trucks. The tranmission always have issues and im not a fan on sensors anyway so im going old school.

I will be towing sometimes 400 miles or so one way to race my car.

What engine and tranmission would/should i be after in a C20 to haul my car and trailer with ease?

Also if anyone have a C20 for sale i will interested in taking a look at it...

Here is a pic of my car and trailer
I would go with a 400 or a 454 engine and either a 4 speed with a granny 1st or a turbo 400. You should have a 3:73 for a turbo 400, a 4:10 for a stick. Keep in mind though, that Squares are not new vehicles, so be prepared to sink some dollars into it to make it mechanically as good as new. That will give you peace of mind. If you really want a 350 or smaller, you might need a 4:56 rear. OK when you are towing, but not very fun when empty, as you will be stuck in the slow lane, engine revving away even at 50. If you can find a good Camper Special, so much the better, as you will automatically have the big rear brakes - 13 inches! And the stiffest rear springs and biggest tires.

James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP