NV4500 Swap for 700r4 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad_idea

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
So... I've been looking at options and a manual swap may be the right choice. With a planned use of road trips, family outings, occasional towing of a car trailer, trail riding (no heavy off-road use), all on 33s the money it will cost to get a solid auto into the Burb is more than I want to swallow. I want simple and reliable for the truck. I plan to keep the 6.2l.

I've done some research and come up with the following:
  • Find a 85-87(91) manual truck with hydra boost and pull the pedals, master cylinder, and line. ?Apparently the pedal sets are different between vacuum and hydra boost setups?
  • Find a NV4500 from a newer truck - not sure ideal years? I'll keep an eye out for ideal, but really just want functional.
  • Transfer case from newer truck w/ passenger side drop - or swap out input shaft to 32 spline shaft. Can I pull the shaft from a driver's side drop and swap it into my transfer case? I've seen several people selling trans and transfer case together - if the shafts will swap seems like a cheap solution.
  • New clutch. Need something easy to operate and tolerant of *some* abuse. Ease of operation is key to selling it to the wife. Suggestions?
  • AA bell housing to put slave cylinder on driver's side with another adapter bracket to use the GM slave.

Am I missing anything? Cost effective (not cheap) and reliable are my goals. I've been working on the wife, I think she will grudgingly accept a manual. It'll be fun to teach her stick again. I taught her 20 years ago and it was hysterical then, who would've thought an 85 Camry could smoke the front tires all the way across a parking garage?

Last edited:

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
You'll like the 4500. My Burb is a diesel with it. Drives great. Cruise at 65-70 no problem. Im getting 20 mph.

bad_idea

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Awesome. Any insight to the above questions I have? Tricks along the way that saved you time/money?

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
Mine is just 2wd. Easier swap. Used factory hydro clutch set up. Has a complete 4500 set up from a 95. Some guys like the 96 and later for the internal slave when running 4wd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes