Valuable car insurance information for squarebodys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I loved Hagerty but they said they wouldn't insure my old cars with a teenager in the household when I went to add him to the policies. I called back multiple times and got the same answer. Strange part is that if you get the Hagerty Magazine, its full of articles on teen driving.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is where I get depressed. Since the truck is my daughters and she is 18 I can't get the classic/antique insurance. I haven't been able to find (admittedly haven't shopped a lot) a company to do an agreed value on a vehicle she can drive to/from school/work every day. I may be giving American Family a call!

I was able to insure our C10 with my teenage son at agreed value through State Farm. Of course there is a mileage restriction of a 1000 a year???

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@Scott91370 keep looking around I worked with a kid he was only about 18, had a custom vw bug with stated value insurance, it did get wrecked,not his fault and he got way more for it than I thought it was worth. See if you can get stated value insurance somewhere.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Costco members would be wise to check the insurance offered through them. It seems very reasonable and have had no problem so far.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is where I get depressed. Since the truck is my daughters and she is 18 I can't get the classic/antique insurance. I haven't been able to find (admittedly haven't shopped a lot) a company to do an agreed value on a vehicle she can drive to/from school/work every day. I may be giving American Family a call!
Honestly American Family has been quite decent IMO. Takes a lot for me to say that about an insurance company, although the issues of everything from dishonesty to fraud by past insurance companies are now 25-30 years in the rear view mirror.
Full coverage on the 86 with teen boy driver was about $80/mo. And they didn’t kill us on his Mustang GT either. $150/mo.
However knock on wood we haven’t had a claim until this fall in many years and credit rating obviously helps. And good student discount is huge.
Aside from being straightforward on a couple other issues on our policies, our youngest son rear ended someone this past fall. The other party was a hit and run impaired driver with no insurance.
Ended up making a claim to get our truck fixed and presumed they’d hit us with an at fault accident as they didn’t arrest the hit n run driver until later so no proof of impairment at the scene. Appears they did not charge it as at fault or even use up our accident forgiveness.
If they’re honest I’m a happy customer

What I said about the values, make sure you verify. Almost seems too good to be true on the Square.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Appreciate the info on other carriers like Grundy and Hagerty. Will see what the old GMC comes back at now with no teen attached to it as a primary driver.
On another note I’ve not had insurance on the 74 Jeep, ever. Got a quote for comp only no liability or collision. Even though it’s old it’s insured for NADA value for $1/mo for just comprehensive.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Have had Hagerty for years. 3 cars, 70 LS6 Chevelle, 66 Nova SS clone and 63 Split Window Corvette. Been around $800-900 total per year stated value. That's a total for ALL 3!!
Checked last week with them on the 75K20, they came back with $58 for the year with a stated value of $12000. It is in effect NOW.....no pics, no professional evaluation... nothing!!

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Have had Hagerty for years. 3 cars, 70 LS6 Chevelle, 66 Nova SS clone and 63 Split Window Corvette. Been around $800-900 total per year stated value. That's a total for ALL 3!!
Checked last week with them on the 75K20, they came back with $58 for the year with a stated value of $12000. It is in effect NOW.....no pics, no professional evaluation... nothing!!

I had Hagerty for 2 yrs at a stated value of 10k. After the 2nd year the premium doubled with no real explanation. I switched to grundy, an got 5k more coverage for less than the first year with Hagerty.

I hated to do it because I did use them to settle a claim because the other driver insurance co was dragging their feet. I thought that was why the premium went up but the agents on the phone said it wasn't. They were always pleasant to deal with but I couldn't justify almost 700 for a year at that coverage level.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Well, Easton’s square Hagerty would not touch for a number of reasons.. like 16 reasons. Finally just put on our policy and they insure him on wife’s Navigator. We added full coverage since he is probably 10K into his rebuild and could not cover a wreck on his budget.

Attachments

• A625A51E-1734-4531-B221-CB6CB4C99C46.jpeg
    A625A51E-1734-4531-B221-CB6CB4C99C46.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 35

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Which ever insurance you get, make sure that your understanding and the insurers understanding are the same, and get it in writing. Too many MISunderstandings in the insurance world.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well, Easton’s square Hagerty would not touch for a number of reasons.. like 16 reasons. Finally just put on our policy and they insure him on wife’s Navigator. We added full coverage since he is probably 10K into his rebuild and could not cover a wreck on his budget.
Curious as to what some of the primary reasons were.
Assuming they weren’t generally related to teenage primary driver.
That’s a tough one. Our insurance has been good about keeping rates in check by assigning kids to the best vehicles for good rates knowing full well that they had or have access to all of them and drive them. (Although my wife won’t let our younger boy take her SRT8 anymore since he wrecked the brodozer…. But it’s more of a joke that we won’t let him live down just to keep him on his toes!)
I tossed him the keys to the brodozer the day I finished up the other bodywork I did after it came back from the body shop. Good way to keep them kids thinking about responsibility!

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
I love it…

The two classic insurance companies we were referred to through our insurance , Nationwide, said he could not be assigned daily driver of his square if we were to get the classic rates they offered. Tons of restrictions as well, mileage, how and where it was kept, etc.
It’s not a show truck, it’s HIS show truck. I call it a 10 footer (looks good at ten feet) but we needed full coverage for when (yeah, when) he wrecks it. Did have to provide pictures and history since fixing it up. We will see what happens “when”…

Great thread

Attachments

• B59BB1C7-1DCD-4057-9D7D-AD9C39B272F6.jpeg
    B59BB1C7-1DCD-4057-9D7D-AD9C39B272F6.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 37

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1