Valuable car insurance information for squarebodys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well not just squarebodys , but probably other old/classic cars as well.
Spent the afternoon keeping our insurance company honest. Seems to be required about every 5 years. Except this time didn’t have to switch companies to get the rates good again….
Speaking for the 86 GMC and also my 74 CJ5, I had the wife put full coverage on the old GMC since it’s been finished and on the road since it’s worth a decent amount of $ now. And the ins said of course need to get an appraisal if you want it to be insured for actual (high) value, as they will only insure comp and collision to NADA value.
So I looked up NADA on the 86 GMC. C2500 + 4wd + 454 engine. NADA shows low retail at $7k, avg at $24k and high at $34k!
We all know this is largely wrong and totally subjective. It’s worth what someone will pay.
But the point is, nada has these trucks valued extremely high. And our insurance anyway American Family will use that value scale in the event of a loss.
So for normal cheap insurance rates, the 86 GMC is covered for every penny that it’s worth and then some. No appraisal, no classic car insurance needed.
It was $500 for 6mo but should be dropping some since we dropped one teenager off our policy and the other one is assigned to the beater Tahoe.
Similar for the 74 Jeep, which is also imo over valued unless the prices around here are cheap. But same deal, plan on covering the Jeep for comp coverage and AmFam treats it the same way. nADA says it’s like $9k avg value. Which is more than its worth on the street by 20-30%.
And fwiw, AmFam would also insure basing value off of $ invested (with receipts)without an appraisal. But that method won’t work for me because I don’t have enough actual $ in them to even come close to market value.
Something worth looking into for those of you with valuable old trucks.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Good little blurb thanks!

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was thinking the other day about calling my insurance company and seeing what the cost would be to go to full coverage on my 86 K 20. I don't have a lot in it since most of it is DIY but the value is getting up there with these old trucks...

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If not driven in the winter suspend all the insurance except comp. Much more reasonable that way. State Farn will do it but when full coverage is reinstated the minimum time is 30 days. My premiums went up substantially [triple] this month. Not sure what is going on but calling them Monday.

I checked with other collector car companies they were double or triple State farm. Haven't had a claim so no idea how that will work.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I have a $15k agreed value policy through grundy for like $280/year. Regular insurance was like 4x that....

SC rips us off on insurance though. For my other 3 cars it's like 400/month an we are all good drivers no tickets or at fault wrecks etc. I hate it, it's hard to keep decent coverage or deductibles an stay affordable.

Last edited:

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I have an "agreed value" policy through Country on my '82, And it was pretty straight forward. They required 4 corner pictures of the truck and a signature. I can drive it any time of the year, although it only gets driven generally from about may to november. With all the work we did on the house this year it hasn't turned a wheel since august and I put less than 200 miles on it. When I inquired while setting up the policy about the fact that I did all of the work myself if that would affect my trucks value on the policy the Agent told me it didn't matter if I did the work myself because my time is still considered to be worth something and that is factored in due to the fact if something happened and I had to pay to have something redone it costs "X amount of money." So now I have a policy that i am comfortable with, can drive the truck whenever I want, it's insured I feel accordingly and it only costs me $125/year.

Tlambert

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
My two daily vehicles are insured with Farm Bureau and I’ve had vehicle issues that they were quick to help resolve and I like the service.
BUT, years ago I was paying Farm Bureau a crap load of money a year for liability on non-restored 70 impala, a non-restored 67 Camaro, also I had an agreed value policy on an S-10 BB pro-street truck, the Camaro and truck rarely got driven.

You guys have got to get away from these normal insurance companies for your pleasure vehicles and go to someone like Hagerty, Grundy or others like them especially if you’re not daily driving them.

You're able to set the mileage you would be driving the vehicle. They don’t check the mileage before or during driving it.

I know have 7 vehicles with Hagerty. Each set at a value by condition and market prices are for each. I also have the yearly driven mileage set for each which is around 200 miles or so. I had to send pictures of each vehicle also.

I’m paying less for those 7 vehicles (of course one is my C10) a year than I was for 1 a year with FB.

I was skeptical about this also years ago when suggested by a friend.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I won’t get off that cheap. But will see what the new rate comes back at for the GMC.
Liability only with high limits was/is like $40/mo. Although that may change dropping the other teen driver. As I’m certain he was “applied” to the GMC since the Mustang was higher rate.

Bottom line, unless you know you’re the cause of your rates going up, it pays to audit your policies ever so often. Last I checked, even the “good” insurance companies are for profit businesses….

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Something else to note, not all states have Farm Bureau sponsored insurance, WA is one of those states that doesn’t.
But have had it with the best rates and coverages in a couple other states in past years.
And our 19y/o son has FB ins in Florida. It is about 50% cheaper premiums than the other popular companies.
And his agent actually called us because his teenage brain spaced off submitting his grades for good student discount and he also didn’t pay the additional premium for not having/submitting it.
Great customer service !

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I have my daily insured through USAA because my ex-wife's dad was ex-military, they had the best rates at the time and they let me keep my own policy after we divorced even though me nor any direct relatives are military. It's been a few years now, I should probably shop around a little but if I ever leave, I can't come back.

My C10 is insured through a broker with Grundy. I sent them 5 or 6 pictures and it's insured for $35k for something like $267/yr. Can't complain there. There's no mileage limit, but they want it stored indoors and I can't daily it. Though they did tell me, if I want to bump it up higher (when I do more work to it), it'll be in that threshold where they want documentation to justify the price. That's not a problem though because I have a 2 whole binders with nearly every receipt for the truck in them. Haven't had a claim (and hope I never do) but the broker is a great guy that's easy to work with and several other friends have their cars insured through him (one even has his whole hotrod business insured through him) so I don't expect any issues.

Last edited:

74Blaze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5/Blazer
Engine Size
My Blazer is insured through Hagerty. $22,000 value for $380/year. Limited to 3000 mi/year, must be stored inside and can't be my primary transportation.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I have full coverage on every vehicle. Always have. I have been with AAA since '96 and each vehicle I get is put on full coverage immediately, and thus far they haven't denied it.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I think regular ole full coverage on USAA was only like $75/mo for the square but they only valued it at like $7k, even after the swap and all the work. They don't have a classic division apparently

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Yeah I have USAA for the daily driven vehicles and Hagerty for the square and 67' Riviera. I got both classics insured with Hagerty, with more coverage, for less than what USAA was charging me for just the square.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
This is where I get depressed. Since the truck is my daughters and she is 18 I can't get the classic/antique insurance. I haven't been able to find (admittedly haven't shopped a lot) a company to do an agreed value on a vehicle she can drive to/from school/work every day. I may be giving American Family a call!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia