Buying Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlowTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe 20
Engine Size
Hello Everyone, always been a fan of these trucks. Just moved to Wisconsin this summer and need a plow truck for our very long gravel driveway, going to look at this one tomorrow.

It was purchased brand new in 1975 by a transportation (bus) company, I'm guessing used to plow the parking lot I'm not sure yet, but it has only 99k miles. They are asking $2500.

My questions are what should i look for? I'm told it has a new gas tank but needs a new fuel line, also it has a broken leaf spring to make it roadworthy. Engine runs good. I own 2 early Broncos and since they only have leaf springs in the rear I thought that's what they meant, but looking for suspension/lift kits (I would only raise it a couple inches) it looks like they have leaf springs on all 4 corners.

I could of course get a newer plow truck, but I'd rather get a truck that's worthy of my time, effort and money to restore, and I've always wanted one of these. I've always had a passion for bringing old things back to life.

Looks like it's obviously been repainted. Just would like to know if the asking price is reasonable and the common areas I should check for rust. Thank you in advance. -Jeff
You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
100% honestly, that truck at that price in my neck of the woods, id JUMP all over that!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
4wd heavier duty, if be lookin at the frame around the steering box for cracks. Here in rustville id be lookin at all the body panels outside and underside but that looks decent from pics. I see a 14 bolt rear so that is a plus. I know more educated members will throw input, stay tuned.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Thanks Big10, a couple more pics
Oooh 4spd! Nice! That would make that even more appealing to ME if i was looking for another square. Also drivers door appears right with an 80s panel and window crank. Just saying things i see.

PlowTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe 20
Engine Size
Oooh 4spd! Nice! That would make that even more appealing to ME if i was looking for another square. Also drivers door appears right with an 80s panel and window crank. Just saying things i see.

Yes the 4spd is a big plus with me as well! Not to mention I've heard a manual is better for plowing...seems logical but I've never plowed with a truck.

Dave is that for plowing sidewalks?? :hahano:

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Nah, it's for cleaning up after a family gathering, and we don't even do thanks giving over here.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Nah, it's for cleaning up after a family gathering, and we don't even do thanks giving over here.
Just a nutso off topic question... do you guys get fowl weather like snow at all?

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just a nutso off topic question... do you guys get fowl weather like snow at all?
"Fowl" weather is when it's good enough to let the "chooks" (chickens) out for a run. But no, we don't get the "foul" weather that brings snow to where we are. But people pay a premium to go up to the snowfields and freeze their ass off. That's not for me.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
"Fowl" weather is when it's good enough to let the "chooks" (chickens) out for a run. But no, we don't get the "foul" weather that brings snow to where we are. But people pay a premium to go up to the snowfields and freeze their ass off. That's not for me.
Sounded REALLY dumb when i said it but im not sure so i thought id ask... get any kinda saltyness to rot vehicles?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Haha yes i spelled it wrong! :rolleyes:

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sounded REALLY dumb when i said it but im not sure so i thought id ask... get any kinda saltyness to rot vehicles?
Not dumb at all. No, they don't salt the roads down here, the worst you can get is a vehicle that spent too much time on the coastal areas, or a constant damp environment.

PlowTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe 20
Engine Size
Thanks guys, so my plan is to check every foot or so of the frame rails, shock mounts, steering box mount, leaf spring mounts, body mounts especially in the rear, etc. Body panels they've obviously done some repair or at least painted over it on the wheel wells, but I've seen MUCH worse as I'm sure you all have! I also see a lot of drivers side floorboard rot on these trucks so I'll check that too, and the rockers.

I'm hoping they kept some of the original paperwork, that would be another bonus. If I bring her home I'll post more pics. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk