"Budget" 350 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kperk

Reaction score
First Name
Kodie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Looking to build a 350. Got a high nickel block, cast crank and connecting rods. Engine also came with a new gasket set with all new bearings and piston rings. I want to keep it stock bore as the bores are very good, and I have the new piston rings. Ideas for parts for the build i.e flat top pistons, heads, cam etc would be a big help!

Hope to try and make anywhere from 300-350hp

Thanks guys!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Looking to build a 350. Got a high nickel block, cast crank and connecting rods. Engine also came with a new gasket set with all new bearings and piston rings. I want to keep it stock bore as the bores are very good, and I have the new piston rings. Ideas for parts for the build i.e flat top pistons, heads, cam etc would be a big help!

Hope to try and make anywhere from 300-350hp

Thanks guys!

Whats your budget?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Mine is a stock bore. Flat top dual valve relief Pistons. Vortec heads. This cam. Electric fans took a HUGE amount of strain off the engine.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-206-2

Quadrajet worked over. Long tube headers. No cats, super 44 flows.

The cam makes great low end power and sounds Lopey but not race car lope. I get a lot of compliments. You could also go bigger with a 268h cam from comp and have even more sound and power with maybe a higher power band. I wanted my power low down, for towing, and with a 700r4 and 4.10s it will scoot. Hell even up high it scoots.

If I had it to do over again I would have bored mine .030 over. Just more power and compression. Something to think about

I would estimate mine over 300hp.

kperk

Reaction score
First Name
Kodie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Whats your budget?

It's a "budget" build. Somethings you have to splurge on, but I'm trying to keep it close to the low buck side.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Some people include afr heads in their budget builds others find vortec heads. I have been thinking about using vortec heads and building for torque. The estimate that someone came up with will net 400 lbs of torque and 375 hp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Axle ratio? Truck weight? Transmission type? Intended use?

I'm very surprised you were able to find an older 010/020 block with a STD bore that's OK. Did you check it with a dial bore gauge at various depths? At the minimum you'll want to have it professionally honed to get some cross-hatch in the cylinder walls. Hopefully that won't take the bore out to any more than 4.002".

Typically the recommended piston clearance is around .0015", and that is built-in to the pistons. If you do end up with 4.002" or so, that will mean a piston ring that's pre-gapped to .016" for a 4" bore, will have a .020" gap in a 4.002" bore. That's OK for K-B hypereutectic pistons, but a bit much for pistons that like .016".

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mine is a stock bore. Flat top dual valve relief Pistons. Vortec heads. This cam. Electric fans took a HUGE amount of strain off the engine.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-206-2

Quadrajet worked over. Long tube headers. No cats, super 44 flows.

The cam makes great low end power and sounds Lopey but not race car lope. I get a lot of compliments. You could also go bigger with a 268h cam from comp and have even more sound and power with maybe a higher power band. I wanted my power low down, for towing, and with a 700r4 and 4.10s it will scoot. Hell even up high it scoots.

If I had it to do over again I would have bored mine .030 over. Just more power and compression. Something to think about

I would estimate mine over 300hp.

I too would say this combo is over 300hp. This is a really good combo IMO for a DD truck. Vortecs heads, dual plane intake, headers, and a good cam. I would also throw out Comps XE256H cam. It is a dual pattern grind with a touch more exhaust lift and duration than Nicks 260H. Or even the XE262H, with the Vortecs make sure to check clearances as the XE262H is getting into a stock Vortecs danger zone.

As far as what pistons, decide on what heads and head gaskets you are going to use, then you can spec out pistons to get your engine to the compression ratio you want.

kperk

Reaction score
First Name
Kodie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Are these kits any good? Has anyone here used them and actually made any kind of decent power?

I have been researching stroker motors. My bores are good and look as if they just need to be honed out. Wondering if there is any benefit to keeping stock bore to save on machining costs and putting in a stroker bottom end and just having the block decked?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising