freshening up my 350 (1986)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff w Ashworth

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
Well here goes, Tore apart my 350 to freshen it up, honed the cylinders, new cam bearings and cam, new rings, main and rod bearings, polished crank shaft and put back in the block with new bearings and turns free, cleaned up pistons and ring groves, put ring on and in stalled 1 in it's cylinder and new rod bearings, piston drove hard into cylinder (socked in oil) hoked up to crankshaft and wont turn but you can feel it want to go back and fourth but won't turn, rings drug hard down the cylinder. any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Wrong rings or bearings. Maybe some trash in the ring grooves. Something...
Pull that piston back out and figure out why it it tight.

Jeff w Ashworth

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
I ran a ring grove cleaner around them till I saw the piston shine in the grove. and I also put a rring in the cylinder and checked the end clearance on them.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oil ring spacer came out of the rails I think.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes, be sure ring groves are completely clear of carbon. If grove tool is unavailable break an old ring, grind the jagged edge flat.

Jeff w Ashworth

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
I tried the break a ring in half and I couldn't get them clean enough, so I ordered a grove cleaner and scraped them shiny, the ring compressor looks to pull down flush and good, this is the first engine I have ever had this problem with and I have worked on quit a few in my years.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I tried the break a ring in half and I couldn't get them clean enough, so I ordered a grove cleaner and scraped them shiny, the ring compressor looks to pull down flush and good, this is the first engine I have ever had this problem with and I have worked on quit a few in my years.
That's why I think its an oil ring issue. I've had those spacers pop out of the rails once or twice in my life and jam up and/or a rail fold over.

You must be registered for see images attach