400 SBC Build - Tight Budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If he does the 350 crank 400 block just use the 400 pistons with 350 rods. But this engines already been rebuilt and runs! So my opinion which I've tried to stay out,I pointed him towards what stuff to research. Imho see if it can just take rings,rod bearings,main bearings and a cam, zero deck the block if it's in the budget and some decent aftermarket heads.That will make a great engine. Now bolt ons carb manifold and headers Your over 400 hp and 400ft lbs. Without spending a fortune. If zero deck with fast burn heads it'll run on pump gas.

GO-N-BRK_84

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
400ci
Well geez, I'd like to thank everybody for the feed-back and opinions. It's been eye-opening annnnnnnd, a little soul crushing..lol. I was really looking forward to the build experience. It just doesn't seem to make sense, JEGS has a New Blueprint 400ci crate motor claiming 508hp / 437TQ for around $6,700

I kinda feel bad for tearing down a motor that ran fine, I probably could have sold it to help fund a crate motor :oops:

Last edited:

GO-N-BRK_84

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
400ci
If he does the 350 crank 400 block just use the 400 pistons with 350 rods. But this engines already been rebuilt and runs! So my opinion which I've tried to stay out,I pointed him towards what stuff to research. Imho see if it can just take rings,rod bearings,main bearings and a cam, zero deck the block if it's in the budget and some decent aftermarket heads.That will make a great engine. Now bolt ons carb manifold and headers Your over 400 hp and 400ft lbs. Without spending a fortune. If zero deck with fast burn heads it'll run on pump gas.
ON second thought, I'm not in a hurry. The engine came with an Edelbrock performer intake and a nice set of long-tube headers, the carb was a bit ****, an old carter I think. I'm going to approach the engine shop with what you've posted here and see what happens!

I left the stock heads assembled as they appear to be in good shape, think it's possible to make around 400hp on stock heads by zero decking the block and maybe some domed or flat pistons?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Without a doubt.
I misread that,sorry, what heads do you have? If you are buying pistons and heads you'd be better off with dished pistons.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
ON second thought, I'm not in a hurry. The engine came with an Edelbrock performer intake and a nice set of long-tube headers, the carb was a bit ****, an old carter I think. I'm going to approach the engine shop with what you've posted here and see what happens!

I left the stock heads assembled as they appear to be in good shape, think it's possible to make around 400hp on stock heads by zero decking the block and maybe some domed or flat pistons?
No.

Heads are where you are going to make all your power. Stock smogger truck heads will never flow enough to make that kind of power as they are. You can make that kind of power if you get the heads professionally reworked, but that is going to cost you more than just getting a set of AFR enforcers, ready to run, right out of the box. You could probably make that just with zero decking the stock motor, AFR enforcer heads, and the roller cam kit I posted earlier. Its almost exactly the setup they ran on engine masters and were making 500hp all day long.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is this motor torn down already?

If the crosshatch is still there and no ridge, I'd clean it, run a dingleberry hone, new bearings including cam, decarb the pistons and ring lands, use cast rings only, install RV cam, buy some decent aluminum heads and have the steam holes drilled(Summit, Jegs does it for free at purchase or used to at least), Performer RPM (or an original Torker, not a Torker II)w/ a pro built quadrajet. Plenty of power/ tq and good manners. $750 for cam, bearings, rings, etc. $200 in shop to clean block, deck, install cam bearings. $500 for carb, $250 for intake, and a bunch on heads.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Like Mark Jones, I work in a machine shop, get asked this all the time. It depends. A complete block with tin etc, if everything specs good, saves $. If the bore is in spec, hone and new rings. 400 are thin wall, so not wise to bore over to much, so if an overbore is needed, shoot for .010 over, which I would torque plat hone, no boring. Takes longer, but safer. Rebuilt 194 Heads three angle valve jog, guides, seals, and springs to match a conservative (230@ .05) cam, gasket matched, heads and intake. Call a cam mfg, tell them your specs, and use there expertise!!! All the blocks I build myself, I do the prep, saves time which equals money, the more you can do the less it costs. A dual plane intake, Holly 750 vac secondary with the secondary block (not the plate,) 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 long tube headers, three inch all the way back, free flowing mufflers. The only other thing I would spend money is a AF gauge like AEM, to tune the motor in the truck. This is where you get the instant throttle response, best gas mileage and drivability. I installed mine right in my dash. A stock or mostly stock long block rebuild will be between 3500-6000, (depends on parts,) complete, balanced, (a must!!). Run in on engine stand, and tuning can easly be min $500. A little more then two cents. AF gauge by lighter. Runs down the road at cruse right 14.1. Full throttle vac secondary's all in between 12.3, and 12.6. Last pic Elk below the house.

Attachments

• IMG_3576~photo.JPG
    IMG_3576~photo.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4185~photo-full.jpg
    IMG_4185~photo-full.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5292~photo.JPG
    IMG_5292~photo.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 60

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
I've had/have a few 400's in my day. They are good torque motors and that's where all of the fun is. That truck wasn't designed for 450hp. Agree with others to not go crazy with the cam.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Last 400 I did has been some while.
#3951511 casting. Your 509 block is superior.
I ran stock 3 angle valve grind heads with 9.5 flatop pistons. Bored 30 over.
Wolverine RV cam.
intake and exhaust are .4425
intake and exhaust duration is 288@50
Overlap 64
Lobe centers 107
intake opens BTDC 0
intake closes at ABDC 34
exhaust opens BBDC 44
exhaust closes ATDC 10
Rocker Arm ratio 1.5 :1
Crane anti pump up lifters
Stock intake with a Quadrjet with electric choke.
Pushed an 8.5' Western plow for over 20 years with no problem in a 1980 K10.

You will find much incorrect info on the internet about this engine.
Mostly from people that never owned one.
509's do NOT have paper thin walls. I bought 4 new K30's with this engine and a K 10 Suburban.
Never had any heating problems and worked every one of them.

Attachments

• Duallies 002.jpg
    Duallies 002.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Trailers.jpg
    Trailers.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
The 400 SBC was just a piss poor design period... As craig stated the cylinder walls are thin, paper thin, you're already 30 over better hope it cleans up nice @ 40 over do NOT go 60, most reputable machine shop slash motor builders won't 60 over that block anyway... Issue 2 the idiotic short rods, they put excessive side load on those thin walls wearing the block and rings, now add excessive heat to this situation with a 400's marginal cooling and you have cracked cylinder walls... This causes the need to spend more money, buy yourself a good set of 350 5.7" rods and the correct pistons and it can sorta "Bandaid" this problem... Sorry to Debbie Downer the 400 but it is what it is, so much better off with a well built 383 I've built 3 you couldn't break with zero dependability issues....

Mark Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The 400 SBC was just a piss poor design period... As craig stated the cylinder walls are thin, paper thin, you're already 30 over better hope it cleans up nice @ 40 over do NOT go 60, most reputable machine shop slash motor builders won't 60 over that block anyway... Issue 2 the idiotic short rods, they put excessive side load on those thin walls wearing the block and rings, now add excessive heat to this situation with a 400's marginal cooling and you have cracked cylinder walls... This causes the need to spend more money, buy yourself a good set of 350 5.7" rods and the correct pistons and it can sorta "Bandaid" this problem... Sorry to Debbie Downer the 400 but it is what it is, so much better off with a well built 383 I've built 3 you couldn't break with zero dependability issues....
A well done 400 gets on most BBCs, and smokes a 383, before there was an aftermarket I was running 9s NA with production 400 blocks and small tires at full weight. I didn't use the 5.560 rods though, but I did use 350 5.7 rods. My 400s never ran hot and I've run them on the street, 160 degrees. Some 400s sonic ck better than a 350 often. Personally I really like the 400, and I've done a lot of them.

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I hear ya Mark it surely can be done but as you say "well done" is the key ingredient ! Well done gets expensive with any motor and a lot of peeps either budget wise cant or just wont go that extra mile... Hey we agree on the 5.7" rods lol !
:cheers:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Oh I agree I'd rather build/have a long rod 400. But on a budget,the right heads and right quench are the priority. My humble opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1