400 SBC Build - Tight Budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
But... engines with shorter strokes are generally going to rev more quickly and hit higher RPMs, thereby being more "sporty" feeling. Not good for straight-line drag racing necessarily, but great for road racing with lots of quick speed/RPM changes. And good for street-driven sports cars and sport trucks.
An aluminum flywheel will do that all else being equal.

GO-N-BRK_84

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
400ci
Well, it’s taken a minute…but the engine checked out, we did have to take it to .040 over. Blew up my budget as it came out to a little over 7k. Now just trying to figure out what kind of power I can expect from it.

AFR 1001 Enforcer heads (195/64)
Keith Black pistons -18cc
Full roller setup (cam, lifters, rockers)
Sure turned out pretty!

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpeg
    IMG_0220.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0221.jpeg
    IMG_0221.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Did the extra cost come from all the extra metal they had to put into those skyscraper valve covers?

I don't think that I have ever seen a set of them so tall....

Looks good and should be a bitchin' engine for you.

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
Like Mark Jones, I work in a machine shop, get asked this all the time. It depends. A complete block with tin etc, if everything specs good, saves $. If the bore is in spec, hone and new rings. 400 are thin wall, so not wise to bore over to much, so if an overbore is needed, shoot for .010 over, which I would torque plat hone, no boring. Takes longer, but safer. Rebuilt 194 Heads three angle valve jog, guides, seals, and springs to match a conservative (230@ .05) cam, gasket matched, heads and intake. Call a cam mfg, tell them your specs, and use there expertise!!! All the blocks I build myself, I do the prep, saves time which equals money, the more you can do the less it costs. A dual plane intake, Holly 750 vac secondary with the secondary block (not the plate,) 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 long tube headers, three inch all the way back, free flowing mufflers. The only other thing I would spend money is a AF gauge like AEM, to tune the motor in the truck. This is where you get the instant throttle response, best gas mileage and drivability. I installed mine right in my dash. A stock or mostly stock long block rebuild will be between 3500-6000, (depends on parts,) complete, balanced, (a must!!). Run in on engine stand, and tuning can easly be min $500. A little more then two cents. AF gauge by lighter. Runs down the road at cruse right 14.1. Full throttle vac secondary's all in between 12.3, and 12.6. Last pic Elk below the house.
What is the tiny RPM tach? Would love to pull the clock and install. Have factory TBI and plug there if that effects my choice at all. Thx

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What is the tiny RPM tach? Would love to pull the clock and install. Have factory TBI and plug there if that effects my choice at all. Thx
To fit there my guess is 2-1/16" (aka 52mm). Several companies make them. VDO imo is the best of the bunch. I used them ALOT in older 4N restos.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef