Brake Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pintopkp

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hello all. New square body owner here; an 1981 C20 Silverado apparently with the "heavy duty" package or whatever it is. The truck spent much of its life in Southern Cali and was very well taken care of so there's NO rust and everything has been kept in good shape. The only issue I'm having is the brake lights; all the other lights work fine (tail lights, signals, etc.), but both darned brake lights aren't working. I do know that the truck had a camper on it a while back (it now has a cap on it) so maybe the wiring was messed with to accomodate the camper. Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. I'm ok with wiring (not great....just ok) so this will take a little bit of head scratching on my part. Thanks guys. Love the board by the way.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Here's a wiring diagram for the back lights...

attachment.php

If your turn signals work but the brake lights dont I would be looking first at the switch connected to the brake pedal under the dash. If it is adjusted right and getting contact when the pedal is pressed (check with continutity tester or test light) then I would move on down the harness along the driver's side inner frame rail. A camper tap might have been done somewhere near the cab/bed junction. Otherwise, if it has a towing hitch on the back I would look around the middle of the bumper for the tap for the hitch. You know what to look for, broken or worn wires, corroded contacts, etc.

Attachments

• 1973-1987_chevy_taillightwiring.jpg
    1973-1987_chevy_taillightwiring.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 5,661

pintopkp

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks very much. I'll take a look this weekend and report back. Been a hectic week at work.

pintopkp

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Turns out it was the brake switch; works intermittently and sticks. Needs replacing. Anyone have the part # handy? Thanks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was late to this party, but would agreed, it's the brake light switch at the pedal.
Need to know if its Auto or Manual trans, Cruise control or no. Here is Rock Auto Part, NO Cruise with Auto Trans. for example. Looks like it's $3.

KEMPARTS Part # EG1092 More Information About this Part
Brake Light Switch w/o CRUISE CONTROL - w/AUTO TRANS - 4 TERMINALS [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty]

Part Image
$2.66
Add

pintopkp

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks again. I have C/C on my truck so I just grabbed the corresponding switch. Now I won't have to worry (as much) about someone running into the back of me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk