No brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patchesmcgee

Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I jave a 81k 10. My tail lights and blinkers work, my brake lights do not. I have checked fuses and replaced the brake switch. What else could it be?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Check power on brake switch when pedal is depressed and not. If no power head towards the fuse block. If powered other side will go to turn signal switch, then to the rear. Trace the power to signal switch. If power is present, my guess is an open circuit from brake light switch to signal switch or a bad signal switch. Reason signal switch enters into this is it opens the circuit [blinks] when brake pedal is depressed, and signals are on.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Push and pull the hazard light button on column a few times, see if that changes anything.

Still no brake lights? Find the brake switch, check for power on the orange wire. If it has power, push the brake pedal, check for power on the WHITE wire. No power, replace the switch or make sure it’s adjusted correctly.

If you have power on the switch wire, find the turnsignal switch connector at the base of the steering column. Find the white wire in that connector, push the brake pedal and check for power on the white wire. No power? You have an open circuit somewhere between the brake switch and the turnsignal connector. Look for a stupid scotch lock connector for a brake controller, more than likely the scotch lock cut the wire.

If you have power on the white wire with the pedal pushed, find the yellow and green wires of the turn signal connector. While pushing the pedal, check for power on both of those wires. If not, replace the turn signal switch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad