Brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brentcovey

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My tail lights and turn signals work, but no brake lights. I replaced the brake light switch and tested it but still nothing. It's a 79 K20. Any ideas?

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Check the fuse. If I recall right brake lights and emergency flasher share a fuse. Check if there is power to the switch. Check the switch, new parts are sold broken often these days . If you have done this and all is good you have to go through the whole circuit from begining to the end.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Are you using a test light or meter to check for voltage? Does it have trailer wiring/plug/socket? It's common to have bad connections where people splice into the tail light wiring, for trailer lights.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Check the light sockets themselves. The plastic gets brittle and the metal contacts get bent. I've had to swap out many light sockets on trucks more than 2 decades old.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Brake and tail share the same circuit. If the turn signals work the problem is up front. Turn signal circuit interrupts the brake circuit. That way the turn signals work with the brake pedal depressed, like at a traffic light. In other words power goes through the brake switch then to the turn signal circuit. Way to check, see if power is on both sides of the brake light switch with pedal depressed. If so, then follow it that power up the column to the turn signal switch. I would suspect the switch under steering wheel has an issue or the wire plug to the turn switch is fried. Those turn switches get loose or worn at the rivet hinge point opening the circuit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag