Brake light work sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brentcovey

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My taillights and turn signals work all the time, but my brake lights work when they want to. I've replaced the switch and even jumpered it, but nothing. Please help!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The brake light switch feeds from it's own fuse. From the brake light switch, brake pedal pressed, the switch sends power to the turn signal switch connector at the bottom of the steering column. I would check the fuse and the signal connection for corroded or loose connection.

The turn signal switch could also be where the connection for power is lost. Check the easy places first. You know the wiring from the turn switch back to the rear lights work because the turn signals work at the rear.

brentcovey

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have replaced all of the fuses but didn't see one specifically for the brakes. I guess I will replace my turn signal switch.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I have replaced all of the fuses but didn't see one specifically for the brakes. I guess I will replace my turn signal switch.
Remember, easy things first. Do you have power at the brake switch on the pedal. Should have one hot wire all the time. The fuse might be labeled BK-HAZ. Do your 4-way flashers work?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Update. It was just a broken wire under the dash.
Aren't Yo glad You didn't replace that turn signal switch?? lol,,, Like Turbo-4whl says easy stuff 1st... also cheap stuff too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08