87 brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ok so I have no brake lights, my blinkers work and so do the tail lights, what would cause that? Apparently bulbs are fine? Also the hazards don't do anything.' Are these connected in some way?
Thanks

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Brake lights and hazards fuse are always on. Did you check the fuse? Power from the fuse box goes to the brake pedal switch, then to the turn signal switch. Since the turn lamps work, the issue is from the fuse box to the turn switch, which could also be the problem. Check the easy things first.

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I'm guessing since I have no hazards the relay is bad? I will try switching it and checking the fuses in the morning.
Thanks

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Before doing anything, push/pull the hazard light button a few times, see if that get all the lights working.

Find the brake light switch at the brake pedal. Use a 12 volt test light, make sure you have power on the orange wire. If not, double check the stop lamp fuse.

If you have power, test for power at the white wire at the brake switch WITH the brake pedal pushed. No power? Either the switch is defective, or out of adjustment.

If you have power, check for power at the white wire of the turn signal switch connector with the brake pedal pushed. No power? There is a break in the white wire somewhere between the brake switch and the turn signal connector. Start looking for a spliced wire m, especially if a aftermarket brake controller has been installed somewhere in the past.

If everything checks out good to this point, press the brake again, check for power on the green and yellow wires of the turn signal switch connector. No power? Replace the turn signal switch.

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Brake lights and hazards fuse are always on. Did you check the fuse? Power from the fuse box goes to the brake pedal switch, then to the turn signal switch. Since the turn lamps work, the issue is from the fuse box to the turn switch, which could also be the problem. Check the easy things first.
So I ran through the fuses today and you were absolutely correct and thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade