body swapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Then put a short short bed on it? Make it like a Ford Explorer Sporttrack??? uhhh :yucky: NOT!! Don't think I'd like it.

I've only seen one or two with a super short bed, it does look like a giant Sport Trac. The others were just a simple flatbed since they were built to be trail rigs.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
now kinda thinking I wouldn't mind beefing up the frame and making it a one ton burb with dully rear end and fenders... think that could be a cool ride all jack up in the air on some 35's

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Your wife will just love it. I can tell already !!! :grd:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

As far as the Crew Cab to the Burb frame I was just wondering how close the rear cab/body mounts would match up.

On the second page, that brown one don't look too bad at all, I think the thing that kills it is the long reach behind the rear wheels and the tapered tailgate looks like **** instead of it being straight up to the top like a pickup truck tailgate. If that had a shorter ass on it and a straight tail gate that would be pretty sweet.

You must be registered for see images

free picture hosting

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
what do you all think about shorting the frame and dropping a square body elco body on the frame of the burb... think it might be kinda cool...

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I got an old 4x4 mag that has a burb thats been lifted with the back opened up like the brown one. It actually looks pretty good. Why not stretch a blazer top and make it removable?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
what do you all think about shorting the frame and dropping a square body elco body on the frame of the burb... think it might be kinda cool...

At one time many years ago I had the opportunity to buy a beat up 69 elcamino with the cowl induction hood for $800, looked just like a chevelle from the front. I had measure off the wheelbase difference between what it had and my frame and I think it was about 10" or so that needed cut out. I decided against it, not just because of the ridicule for cutting on a frame but the ridicule for liftin a vehicle like that and half of everyone who sees it thoroughly hating you lol. I still wish I would have got it though.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
well hell... not only did I not get that truck... i found another and lost it too...lol guessing it's just time to register the burb and put it back on the road and see if my luck changes then...lol

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
My brother was pondering the idea of a 6 door suburban while back. We had a 3/4 ton 4x4 that was rusted out in the back and another 1/2 ton 2wd that was hit hard in front. Idea went out the window when we got a good offer on the 3/4 ton. We also had a 78 suburban on 44" boggers that used a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup with the suburban frame welded on top it for a lift kit. Left all the drivetrain in lower frame even. It was bad ass, but couldn't keep a front axle under it, so it got parted out.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
well well well... set out to get the burb back on the road... came across an 84 K5 Blazer... for $1000.00... talked to the guy it needs a motor but everything else is in primo condition... bless this guy he is willing to let me make it in a couple of payments allowing me to get this truck... and best of all I already have a killer parts truck in my burban... I can rob the burb of everything I need as much as I hate that idea... would love to get it where I can keep both but the truth is the burb is just to big for just me and I'm sure once my motor is in the Blazer it will get better mpg... once I have the Blazer I will start posting pics... and giving more updates as I am sure I will have plenty of questions about swapping the tbi into the 84 Blazer... any advice will be helpful... pretty mechanically handy just don't have a lot of the knowledge yet... I am a sponge please fill my brain...lol

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Get a build thread started once you dig into this project. Swapping that TBI system over will be fairly easy. If you are parting out that Burb I have a wish list. :)

RETRO MODS ROCK

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I need Burb parts too :)

Burbs and Blazers get the same mileage, so don't get your hopes up too much in that department.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
As far as the Crew Cab to the Burb frame I was just wondering how close the rear cab/body mounts would match up.

On the second page, that brown one don't look too bad at all, I think the thing that kills it is the long reach behind the rear wheels and the tapered tailgate looks like **** instead of it being straight up to the top like a pickup truck tailgate. If that had a shorter ass on it and a straight tail gate that would be pretty sweet.

You must be registered for see images

free picture hosting

Put a sloped roll bar with fiberglass fairings and put some Avalanch emblems on it! Tailgate doesnt bug me at all, and O like the proportions.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
ok starting to get things ready before the other truck gets here...lol wanting to pull the ECU but it looks really tight in behind the glovebox... how do I get this thing out...lol sorry if it sounds bone headed but couldn't find anything on the removal in the manual I have... help please??? And the wifie already told me I can't keep both toys... can't really afford two so yeah when I have got it done anyone who maybe headed to cali or is willing to talk parts I'm open for discussion...lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris