body swapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Would love to throw a beefy twin turbo diesel into a sb... lol but Cali has issues with putting a diesel motor into a gas truck... something about failing the emissions testing... lmao

Read the California section @ cumminsforum.com. Lota guys say you don't smog Pre-97 at all.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Read the California section @ cumminsforum.com. Lota guys say you don't smog Pre-97 at all.

Yes, they are exempt in Cali. This is why I'm doing the Title 42 on my 85 K10 instead of a Cab swap. It was originally a 6.2 so it's smog exempt. I end up moving back to Cali, that truck is for sure going with me and it will damn sure have a biggo smoggy motor.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Yes, they are exempt in Cali. This is why I'm doing the Title 42 on my 85 K10 instead of a Cab swap. It was originally a 6.2 so it's smog exempt. I end up moving back to Cali, that truck is for sure going with me and it will damn sure have a biggo smoggy motor.

Can something be done with title if it was previously gas?

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
As far as I know it it was a gas you can't make it a diesel... I wish cause I would in a heart beat... lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Can something be done with title if it was previously gas?

According to Jiims86, Yes. You'd have to take it to a referee proving the diesel power then it's smog exempt. I'd imagine, what the catch would be for you, is what year is that 4BT? If it's later than 97 then it's going to fall into the 97 and later diesel. Jims86 or Skysurfer would be the ones to ask. I think they were both Certified CA Smog Techs. I was too way back when the smog program first started in the 80's but that was so long ago and also Pre OBD2, and I"ve also been gone from So Cal now since Dec 90, alot has changed since then.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
The 4bt is a 90 model. I got one of the guys at a cummins site clueing me in on the how to. He's working on his second swap in Cali. The block has to be newer or the same year as the truck and you have to follow the emissions of that year engine. Keeping it Pre 98.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool, that should work for you then.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Wait... you can put a diesel in a Gasser... hold the door...lol that has my attention now... lmao does it have to be one offered in that year vehicle? Or can it be any diesel that year or newer?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dude, you can put just about whatever the hell you want in these trucks. The 6.2 diesel has been offered in these trucks since 81 is it? Not positive. I know 80 still had the Olds Diesel, and you don't want that hunk of ****. There guys on this site that have Dodge Cummins 6 motors in them, Wildcatjason has a Cummins 4 cylinder in his.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
That totally opens so many options of future mods for me... lmao I know few friends that have changed out their diesels to other diesel options for increased torque and power but was always told you couldn't change a Gasser to diesel... this blows my mind... and the thought of being able to make my own fuel just brightens my whole thought of the love I have for sb's

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The deal is for you guys in Cali, is find you a 6.2 truck. The VIN # designates the diesel motor. In one of those trucks, it's exempt anyway by VIN designation, so you can put any motor you want in it.

What I'm not sure of, and maybe Jim knows, do you have to have it looked at to transfer title into your name, or if say I was to move to CA and brought my 6.2 truck with me, would I have to have it looked at to get it transfered to a CA tag. I know once it's in your name and had a CA tag, then you're done. No emissions testing required at all for pre 98 models.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
A truck that had 6.2 would be easier but from my understanding you have to take it to a referee to get the title changed to be designated diesel. Here is the link to a guy who is on his second swap in Cali. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539196
If I tag it here I will let you know. A road 4bt doesnt have **** for emissions from the factory so I should have no worries. Now a 6bt, 6.5, 6.2, or a 7.3 might be different but I doubt a whole lot. Didn't even have a cat, but if they wanted one I'm sure somebody could gut one and throw one on. My truck is up for sale.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A truck that had 6.2 would be easier but from my understanding you have to take it to a referee to get the title changed to be designated diesel. Here is the link to a guy who is on his second swap in Cali. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539196
If I tag it here I will let you know. A road 4bt doesnt have **** for emissions from the factory so I should have no worries. Now a 6bt, 6.5, 6.2, or a 7.3 might be different but I doubt a whole lot. Didn't even have a cat, but if they wanted one I'm sure somebody could gut one and throw one on. My truck is up for sale.

So, safe to say you're in Cali now. You moving there or just there temporarily or what?

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
So, safe to say you're in Cali now. You moving there or just there temporarily or what?

I've been here since June. I don't know what I'm doing yet my heart isn't here but money is and unfortunately it is taking priority. I am liking these mountains. We are 20 miles south of Yosemite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69