body swapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
ok bone headed moment over with... I have successfully removed the ECU and pushed the wiring harness through the firewall... yeah for me... lol there were some wires that I unplugged from that harness that trailed toward the driver's side of the truck... I believe they where orange and white... will I be needing those as well? anyone know what they might be? any info appreciated thanks again

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Probably the power wires to the ECM. No need for those if not using the ECM ESC dizzy. You're all good.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Noticed the wire harness ties in to the main harness going to the fuse block area on the fire wall of the burb... I'm assuming I'll need to disconnect that as well? Anyone who can point me in the direction of a good wiring diagram would be much appreciated thanks

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yikes. Wait a minute. I now see we're talking about an 88. This is a TBI truck right? If it's TBI, you need that ECM. Or am I getting confused again. I read to many threads.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ahh OK, so are you gonig Carb or TBI? IF TBI, you have to have the ECM.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
I have it out already... just trying to fiqure out what all wiring I have to bring with it... lol. And thinking of swapping the trans and transfer case too... any advice is much appreciated

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, so forgive me here. Three pages of posts, and I don't want to go back and read from the beginning. Give me a quick recap of exactly what you're doing here, and I'll know if I can help, or who I need to step in and help. We have guru's here in just about everything you'd want to do, whether it be all old school, back to stock computer carbed, TBI, Vortec etc.

So here's what I know. You've got an 88 Burb, and Turning it into a 84 K5 Blazer? I also see you're in Cali, so you have emissions to consider. Is this going to be a street legal vehicle? Is it going to be to 88 Emissions standards or 84 Emission standards?

The more I think about it, even an 84 in Cali, if it's a CA Emissions 84 vehicle, that would be running a Computer Command Control ECM.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
OK from what I know in Cali... you can put a newer year engine in a older year vehicle that still requires an emissions test... but in doing so your vehicle has to have all of the emissions stuff from the year of the newer engine in it... not the old one... so I'm wanting to put the engine from the 88 burb into the 84 blazer and keep the tbi and not the carb

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok, so for sure without a doubt, you'll need to keep the ECM and all that wiring. The guy you need in on this is Jims86. He's also a CA TBI junkie.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Ty... I found his tbi thread and made some noise and getting some info... including some pics... lol starting to get a parts list together... the wife says she wishes I would put this much thought into her vehicle... lol I make sure her vehicle is more than safe and reliable... but it's not a square body and not my project...lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ty... I found his tbi thread and made some noise and getting some info... including some pics... lol starting to get a parts list together... the wife says she wishes I would put this much thought into her vehicle... lol I make sure her vehicle is more than safe and reliable... but it's not a square body and not my project...lol

Be thankful you got a wife that even expresses that kind of thought. Most women don't really give a rats ass and just happy if you'd put gas in it. As long as it's sanitary, they don't care if it needs an oil change, tires rotated or has mods done to it. Turn the key, it starts, they're good. Those are the type that end up bitching for the funds and time spent on a project.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
She don't want any mods done thankfully... she just wants fluids full and gas in the tank... good rubber and plenty of go fast and stop quick...lol would love to drop a tpi V8 in her Pontiac GrandAm... lol don't think it would smog though... lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
She don't want any mods done thankfully... she just wants fluids full and gas in the tank... good rubber and plenty of go fast and stop quick...lol would love to drop a tpi V8 in her Pontiac GrandAm... lol don't think it would smog though... lol

Just get her at 05 or later Grand Prix GXP. Aluminum 5.3 motor V8.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Hey now that my cut into my truck money... lmao hard to find them in my area... anyone who has one doesn't want to give them up... lol would love one though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello