body swapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
heres my issue... I have an 88 GMC suburban and I want a pickup as I am the only one usually ever in it... I'm wondering what square body has the same wheelbase length that is Ca smog exempt that will fit the length so I don't have to find a whole truck to start over with... Or is that what I really would rather do anyhow... lol love the idea of two squares around the house but don't have a lot of space as of yet... any info would be greatly appreciated... thanks Sam:crazy:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm thinking the suburban frame would be quite a bit different than a pickup frame. not just in length, but in body mounting points. Anything can be done with a little ingenuity and fabrication.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
One thing about it with that much frame to work with you could chop it down to fit any body you could want on there. I've always wanted a jacked up short bus, I think that would be cool as hell to be able to take just about all your buddies 4wheelin in 1 truck.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO can do without mods. Burb Frame doesn't match the length of any pick up, short or long. Not sure if there would be mounts for a bed either, or you could shorten a long bed just a little, or Bolt a truck cab on and go with a flat bed. Or be a true redneck and just cut the burb behind the front door posts, throw the back seats out and have a barn door swinging tailgate on a pick up with an open back. :grd:

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
thanks guys... love the input... thinking i might have found the truck i want...lol 76 step side 4x4 for 850.00... just needs the front axle fixed and a little body work... let ya know if I actually get the truck... if i do i want to also convert it to a tbi... is that hard to do?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
thanks guys... love the input... thinking i might have found the truck i want...lol 76 step side 4x4 for 850.00... just needs the front axle fixed and a little body work... let ya know if I actually get the truck... if i do i want to also convert it to a tbi... is that hard to do?

Not all that hard to do. Just a matter of running the wiring harness, and making provisions for VSS and electronic speedo cluster out of a later model Burb or K5 so you might have to use the NP241 transfer case. There's guys on here that have converted to TBI, Vortec and LS motors.

No choppin the top off the Burb huh??:wtf:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Not all that hard to do. Just a matter of running the wiring harness, and making provisions for VSS and electronic speedo cluster out of a later model Burb or K5 so you might have to use the NP241 transfer case. There's guys on here that have converted to TBI, Vortec and LS motors.

No choppin the top off the Burb huh??:wtf:

I have every intention of turning mine into a four door step side. I just have to wait on the oldest because the third row is handy right now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was actually kidding. I think I'd keep the Burb a Burb and find me a truck. K trucks aren't hard to find, but 4x4 Burbs, K5's and Crew Cabs are getting pretty tough cuz those who have them are holding onto them.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
my wife would crap herself if she seen me with a sawsall or a torch near the burb unless it was to scrap it... she don't care for my big boy toy too much...lol

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
I bet that would look cool as hell... never thought of that... but not cutting on mine for a while...lol

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I always wondered if a Crew Cab would fit on the Burb frame....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I always wondered if a Crew Cab would fit on the Burb frame....

Yup, it does. Just have to add a simple crossmember for the rear cab mounts.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yup, it does. Just have to add a simple crossmember for the rear cab mounts.

Then put a short short bed on it? Make it like a Ford Explorer Sporttrack??? uhhh :yucky: NOT!! Don't think I'd like it.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I seen some guys put a crew cab on a burb frame, looks odd but you might as well buy a crew and shorten the frame and put a stepper on it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think it would make a good Truggy though. A Crew Cab on a Burb frame with a flatbed and full cage for Rock Crawling. Or maybe even a short flatbed with a gooseneck hitch to tow a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade