Best stock head and Aftermarket cam combo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy V

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The situation: I recently bought a 77 SWB Silverado. The guy I bought it from had the engine rebuilt within the last few years and truck sat most of the time, so not many miles. It's a dog. The truck currently has, what I'm guessing, a stock rebuild with maybe an RV cam. The truck stops making power at about 3800rpms. I have my end goal mapped out, but I'm looking at several years to finish it, However I'd like to make a little better power in the mean time.

I'm looking at putting some better stock heads and a little better cam in it. I'm just hoping to add a little power and raise the powerband so it's good to maybe 5k. I'm assuming it's making around low 200hp and 300lbft torque. If I could raise that to around 300hp and 350tq I'd be thrilled. So, I'm looking for suggestions on a head/cam combo that would ideally work with what's already on there. It has a turbo 350 and stock rear end. Also has eddy dual plane intake, eddy 650 carb, and unknown longtubes.

I'm looking for inexpensive. These parts will be used for a few years then replaced (hopefully). Locally there are a set of 041 heads for $100 and a set of Vortecs (just heads no intake) for $200 on craigslist. Beyond that I'm not sure what stock stuff might be attractive. Any kind of relevant advice is appreciated. Thanks.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Man im all about those vortecs! Woke my truck up real nice. I went with a **** cam too...id call comp and get that 286 H cam or ehatever its called. Supposd to be real nice

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Vortecs for sure. I used the blueprinted 300hp/327ci cam P/N 3896929 used in many factory engines for many years. There are so many cam grinds. This one is good from idle to 4,500 rpm's and doesn't exceed the lift limitations of the vortecs.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Vortec heads require a different intake which can increase a large cost too.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Na, vortec intakes on line are like 150 bucks. But you need gaskets and bolts and all that too

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Vortec heads require a different intake which can increase a large cost too.

Yeah, I recently checked prices to go with the same setup in my '65 as I have in my '81, and now it will cost around $1,100 for the heads (new with springs), GM Performance Q-Jet Vortec Aluminum Spreadbore Manifold, and the aforementioned cam. That doesn't include the new spark plugs for the vortec heads, but those can be bought at a wide price range from a couple dollars each to $10 each.

If you go with the vortecs, the first time you fire up the engine you will notice much more air being moved through the engine, and the exhaust will have a growl to it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
With stock heads or even the first gen TBI heads you could use a Comp Cams 12-300-4 or a little more X-treme 12-230-2.

Like its been said the Vortec heads all by them selves can add 50-100 HP but may require a different cam. Not sure though, because the engine blocks that the Vortec head came from the factory on was a roller block. So if you swap Vortec heads onto your non roller block They may suggest the same or a slightly different cam as you would normally use for a 67-86 block. I see actually that both of the comp cams I listed are for 58-98 blocks so they may be good with a non roller with Vortecs.

These are both RV cams which develop power right off of idle to about 4500 RPM. To get power going into the 5500 RPM range usually the power curve starts from 1500 RPM rather then off of idle

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Na, vortec intakes on line are like 150 bucks. But you need gaskets and bolts and all that too

You need all that stuff anyways and the cost of the intake is well worth the upgrade :)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yeah, I recently checked prices to go with the same setup in my '65 as I have in my '81, and now it will cost around $1,100 for the heads (new with springs), GM Performance Q-Jet Vortec Aluminum Spreadbore Manifold, and the aforementioned cam. That doesn't include the new spark plugs for the vortec heads, but those can be bought at a wide price range from a couple dollars each to $10 each.

If you go with the vortecs, the first time you fire up the engine you will notice much more air being moved through the engine, and the exhaust will have a growl to it.

Im soooo looking forward to this upgrade :)

Jimmy V

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looks like a unanimous vote for vortec heads. I've already read the matching intake is required, and although I'd prefer not to buy an intake too, it's not that big of a deal. I could sell my edlebrock and recoup something. I would likely call comp cams or someone and get a recommendation for a cam based on what I've got. I WILL look in to the cam suggestions that have been posted so far.

With the vortec heads and say an idle to 4500rpm cam, stock rockers and all that would be fine I'm guessing? Will my carb fit directly on the vortec intake or is there an adapter needed?

Appreciate the responses guy. This is good info.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Looks like a unanimous vote for vortec heads. I've already read the matching intake is required, and although I'd prefer not to buy an intake too, it's not that big of a deal. I could sell my edlebrock and recoup something. I would likely call comp cams or someone and get a recommendation for a cam based on what I've got. I WILL look in to the cam suggestions that have been posted so far.

With the vortec heads and say an idle to 4500rpm cam, stock rockers and all that would be fine I'm guessing? Will my carb fit directly on the vortec intake or is there an adapter needed?

Appreciate the responses guy. This is good info.

If you bought an Edelbrock #2116 then you will have the spread bore flange just like you have now on your performer 2101 but it will fit the Vortec heads.

the 12-300-4 I believe can use the stock springs but the 12-230-2 I believe requires stronger springs.

I would buy the full kit for $400 anyways that comes with springs, lifters, pushrods and a full timing set. plus some other goodies.

I believe you will need different push rods anyways unless Im mistaken ??? anyone know for sure ?

You must use the stock SELF ALIGNING rockers or an after market equivalent on the Vortec heads

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
If you bought an Edelbrock #2116 then you will have the spread bore flange just like you have now on your performer 2101 but it will fit the Vortec heads.

Yep

I believe you will need different push rods anyways unless Im mistaken ??? anyone know for sure ?

Nope, stock pushrods work.

You must use the stock SELF ALIGNING rockers or an after market equivalent on the Vortec heads

Yes, you need self aligning rockers. If you use stock rockers from a non-vortec engine they will eventually rotate off the valve stem.

Answers in bold

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya ok so then the full Cam kit would have everything he needs.

Jimmy V

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright, so to add this up I'm looking at vortec heads and intake, cam of some sort, and a cam kit. I'll have to see what carb I have on there, hopefully I can avoid replacing that. I do have an extra carter carb that the guy gave me. I haven't check what part number it is and I'm guessing it needs a rebuild. Looks like I might be able to eek by for around $1000

Edit: The carb is an Edelbrock 1406, so it's a 600cfm not 650. I'm guessing that is not gonna work with the vortec intake?

Last edited:

Jimmy V

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Damn! Just looked at those Vortec heads again for $200 and they are bare heads. Doing a quick ebay search and it looks like a pair of complete heads are closer to $550. That's starting to get high considering for another 400 I'd be looking at aluminum heads and no intake required. Hrmm?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486