What's best to get

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87SQRBDY

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
I an about the get my 87R10 350 5.7 small block with tbi motor rebuilt do to piston rings leaking. What I am wondering is what would work best up top to replace the heads and tbi system? I am looking at the Holley sniper system, but not sure what intake to run it on or which heads would be best. I'm not trying to build a speed demon, but something that will have some get up and go and not keep getting smoked by 4 cylinder cars. I'd be happy with 350hp or a bit more, but I don't know what's best to get there.

I'm more of a shade tree mechanic, and I use that word loosely. Thanks for any opinions, comments, and help. Hope everyone has a great rest of their day.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Budget?

AFR heads, appropriate cam for RPM range HEI, modern dual plane intake and a good carb. If you really want aftermarket fuel injection, the sniper or pro flo system will work, but it won’t be a significant improvement for the truck. I’ve had all of them. A well tuned carb will fire right up and give good performance and efficiency.

Don’t pay any attention to engine masters lately. It’s basically a Holley infomercial.

For that matter, you may be able to go back on with the gm tbi system. It may be able to support 350 hp just fine, but I don’t know much about the systems other than they seem really reliable when the sensors and wiring are in good shape.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Edelbrock also has their matched top end kits, but iirc they come at a price premium vs what you can put together yourself.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Budget?

AFR heads, appropriate cam for RPM range HEI, modern dual plane intake and a good carb. If you really want aftermarket fuel injection, the sniper or pro flo system will work, but it won’t be a significant improvement for the truck. I’ve had all of them. A well tuned carb will fire right up and give good performance and efficiency.

Don’t pay any attention to engine masters lately. It’s basically a Holley infomercial.

For that matter, you may be able to go back on with the gm tbi system. It may be able to support 350 hp just fine, but I don’t know much about the systems other than they seem really reliable when the sensors and wiring are in good shape.
Have a friend who needed to contact Holley customer service. His experience was poor, long wait times, someone reading out of a book and really not solving the problem, ect. He was very disappointed. So, keep that in mind.

I watch Engine Masters as well. They do seem to hype Holley products a lot. Not sure if it because Holley in the only game in town or some other reason. Last time they tested a carb replacement it did need reprograming. Of course, having people handy who are experienced it that arena helps. Unsure if a novice would have the same success. However, I do think the dyno results are accurate.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Have a friend who needed to contact Holley customer service. His experience was poor, long wait times, someone reading out of a book and really not solving the problem, ect. He was very disappointed. So, keep that in mind.

I watch Engine Masters as well. They do seem to hype Holley products a lot. Not sure if it because Holley in the only game in town or some other reason. Last time they tested a carb replacement it did need reprograming. Of course, having people handy who are experienced it that arena helps. Unsure if a novice would have the same success. However, I do think the dyno results are accurate.
I found learning the tuning software to be fairly straightforward. They shouldn’t really market it as 100% self learning, that is, if they still do…

Engine masters is now sponsored by Holley.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
An article of what they own. Unsure when it was compiled.

87SQRBDY

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Thank you to everyone that replied. Whennit comes to not caring about 4 bangers passing me, I totally understand and right now my truck is in primer with some body issues. I'm trying to get it running like new before it looks like new. Too many great looking trucks that are lawn ornaments that don't run. Slowly but surely I'll get there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad