bearing buddies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
not sure where to post i have bearing buddies on a trailer i bought . just pumping them up with grease really work ? or should i repack bearings? thanks in advance john

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
My trailer has the Tie-Down Super Lube hubs which pushes the old grease out the front when you pump in new grease. Not an cheap retro-fit like the bearing buddies but I feel good knowing new grease is getting all the way in there and that any water or contamination gets pushed out.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I've had no issues with Bearing Buddies. I pulled the bearings on a 5 year old trailer that had only been used in salt water and they looked like new.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Mine the fuggin grease fitting stripped out.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Maybe different brands are better than others. These ones I have suck. lol

What do you think of those oil bath type?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Maybe different brands are better than others. These ones I have suck. lol

What do you think of those oil bath type?

Well, my first thought was someone poached the idea from tractor trailers. If they seal properly they would be great, considering how many miles a trailer gets hauled annually. But what if they don't seal? Water is going to mix with the oil, whereas a grease-filled bearing will prevent water intrusion.

Another issue, one that doesn't apply to you 89S, is most boat trailers sit for months at a time. With an oil-bath hub the lubrication sits in the bottom which would leave the top half of the bearing exposed to air and any condensation within the hub.

And finally, what if the hub falls off? I had a Bearing Buddy bail out somewhere along the road but the grease stayed in the bearing the whole trip. With an oil bath hub the bearing would seize pretty damn quick at 60 mph and no lubrication.

I think I'll stick with what's worked for me for the last twenty years.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well, my first thought was someone poached the idea from tractor trailers. If they seal properly they would be great, considering how many miles a trailer gets hauled annually. But what if they don't seal? Water is going to mix with the oil, whereas a grease-filled bearing will prevent water intrusion.

Another issue, one that doesn't apply to you 89S, is most boat trailers sit for months at a time. With an oil-bath hub the lubrication sits in the bottom which would leave the top half of the bearing exposed to air and any condensation within the hub.

And finally, what if the hub falls off? I had a Bearing Buddy bail out somewhere along the road but the grease stayed in the bearing the whole trip. With an oil bath hub the bearing would seize pretty damn quick at 60 mph and no lubrication.

I think I'll stick with what's worked for me for the last twenty years.

Well put. What brand are you running?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The toon came with a Zieman trailer equipped with a Trailer Buddy torsion axle, so the bearing protectors are TB also. I don't know if they're any different from Bearing Buddies. I read on one forum that the actual bearings Trailer Buddy uses are imported but I haven't taken them apart to find out. If they are, I'll swap 'em out for some Timkens when I have it apart. I don't think there's any rush to check them though, the trailer sat in storage at the lake since new so figuring the delivery miles and what I've put on it the bearings probably have no more than 100 miles on them.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Oh you got torsion axles huh? That ride nice?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Most of the time. There's one patch of road I travel, less than 100 yards, that has a couple of bumps in it and they're spaced at just the right distance to get everything buckboarding. I think it's a combination of speed, the Suburban's wheelbase, the distance to the trailer tires, and the fact it's a single-axle trailer that creates the perfect storm on that short stretch of pavement. Other than that I'm real happy with the way it tows.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I always wondered about the longevity of that type of axle and how long before the wheels start cambering outwards. Anyway Ill have to be digging into my hubs in the spring and repacking them, can't wait. lol

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Personally I am NOT a fan of any external greasing methods. If you are forcing NEW grease in to the hub then the old grease has to go somewhere, which is out the back of the hub past the seal. Keep in mind the seal has 2 jobs 1 to keep grease inside the hub, and 2 to keep moisture and contaminates OUT of the hub. If your forse grease past the seal you may aswell remove the seal as it will NOT work properly again.

Another problem I have with them is the wasted grease inside the hub. Before you can force the old grease out of the bearing cages you have to fill the space between the cap-outer bearing, then from the outer to the inner bearing, and then from the inner bearing to the seal, which is ALOT of wasted grease.

IMHO you can NOT beat repacking the bearings by hand. Repacking by hand will allow you to visually INSPECT the bearings, races AND the spindles.....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
OLP in da house!!!! :hands: