Rebuilding low mileage barn find 350, low hours, clean internals, bearing damage.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beastmazter

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Have an 86 suburban I picked up, non-running. 350 in it was toast. Picked up this supposed low mileage 350 that was in a barn and hasn’t run in 40ish years.

You must be registered for see images attach

Internals look really clean

bearing damage found

Need to get the tool to pull the harmonic balancer so I can get the crankshaft out to clean and inspect better. It looks suprisingly good compared to bearing damage. Noticeable scratch on the journal under the main bearing with the deep scratches seen in the photo above.

pistons in block are .040
Bearings are .010

Found small metal flakes in oil filter.

Is the wear pattern and damage consistent with dirty oil/metal in oil? Or assembly/misalignment issues?

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
This looks like an assembly issue. I'd bet the crank to bearing gap was slightly too large. The damage seen inline with rod is from rod hamming down on compression stroke and there being enough gap to allow oil forced out vs held in to lubricate / cushion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76