Bearing and race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brysonsproject

Reaction score
First Name
Bryson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
So I’m rebuilding the hub assembly on my 78 K20 and I only have until Friday. My AutoZone order keeps getting pushed back and I don’t think I’ll be able to finish by then. I’ve already installed my races (those were in stock) now waiting for my bearings to ship. But I’m wondering if I can just get bearings from oreillys and just use those on the Duralast races I installed. Asking because I’ve heard some people say the bearing and races need to be from the same kit or the same company otherwise they won’t mate well. But I’m thinking it won’t matter cuz it’s the same part number anyway? Do I really need to wait for those Duralast bearings to come in or can I just pick some up from Oreillys and use those?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sometimes on odd applications [not yours] bearings and races are only available from different manufacturers. Have done that many times without any problems. Have even used new bearings on old races if parts aren't available. While probably not being proper etiquette in the real-world things work differently.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Bearings and races interchange no problem. They are standard by dimension and part number I forget the tolerance. That's why you don't have to reshim a pinion,a shimmed hub assembly etc. as long as your replacing is the bearing. The shim is for housing,pinion gear or hub differences,it's not shimmed to bearing differences.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Bearings and races interchange no problem. They are standard by dimension and part number I forget the tolerance. That's why you don't have to reshim a pinion,a shimmed hub assembly etc. as long as your replacing is the bearing. The shim is for housing,pinion gear or hub differences,it's not shimmed to bearing differences.
I referenced the pinion bearing because of the speed and labor.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I referenced the pinion bearing because of the speed and labor.
Oh this wasn't about you at all. I was trying to help everyone that doesn't realize that all the same number bearings swap. It's housings and such where you watch for tolerances. On other forums people get all weirded out,oh, you'll have to reshim everything etc. Biggest one is some Kias etc. Use a shim to set wheel bearing clearance. Guys get all freaked out you're going to need 100 shims and a whole day to figure out preload. No you won't the shim was figured out the factory. If you're changing a race,a cone,or the set reuse the same shim.

Last edited:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh this wasn't about you at all. I was trying to help everyone that doesn't realize that all the same number bearings swap. It's housings and such where you watch for tolerances. On other forums people get all weirded out,oh, you'll have to reshim everything etc. Biggest one is some Kias etc. Use a shim to set wheel bearing clearance. Guys get all freaked out you're going to need 100 shims and a whole day to figure out preload. No you won't the shim was figured out the factory. If you're changing a race,a cone,or the set reuse the same shim.
Yeah, people overthink it. I kind of look at it from a manufacturing standpoint. Cars spend little time being assembled. Shim a wheel bearing, not. I don't do shortcuts however there are ways to do repairs easier, faster and actually better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod