Battery posts corrosion wtf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
My cables are in great shape and I hate to cut them up just to run a top terminal. So what about running a set of these adaptors, anyone ever do that and did they work very well. Thanks.
Never seen those adapters before, but I might need to get some. The battery in my K20 is questionable, and it's only getting colder this time of year. Snow will be flying soon enough. I got a good 2 year old battery with top posts in my garage though. Adapters like that would make it usable in my K20.

Thank for brining those adapters to my attention, Rob. I was thinking about selling that battery, but now I should keep it for myself.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If I'm perfectly honest I haven't messed with sulfuric acid much, other than back in day some new batteries like for lawn equipment and such required a first fill. But I have done a fair bit with muriatic acid, mostly for cleaning purposes and I understand the need to dispose of it and handle it correctly. I can't image what would have happened if there had been bleach in one of those drains when that guy poured a battery out.
Sorry, it was early and was talking to somebody in the office, it was sulfuric, not muriatic acid

Keeping those old Towmotors running was always a chore, we don't see many of them out west but worked on many back in Cleveland OH.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Sorry, it was early and was talking to somebody in the office, it was sulfuric, not muriatic acid

Keeping those old Towmotors running was always a chore, we don't see many of them out west but worked on many back in Cleveland OH.
I knew what you meant we were on the same page!

The funny thing is I'm the only one at the shop that will drive the towmotor. Manual, steering, manual brakes ect, no the young guys don't like it lol.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Never seen those adapters before, but I might need to get some. The battery in my K20 is questionable, and it's only getting colder this time of year. Snow will be flying soon enough. I got a good 2 year old battery with top posts in my garage though. Adapters like that would make it usable in my K20.

Thank for brining those adapters to my attention, Rob. I was thinking about selling that battery, but now I should keep it for myself.
Yea, my thing is I don't want to end up getting stranded somewhere because one of them breaks off or the threaded bolt end strips out. Obviously I know if any added parts comes at least some risk as there is another component in there, but it sounds like they are a solid product. I'm hoping that I will be able to put a battery in the trunk still, but I'm kind of holding off until I've got the transmission to builder, and an estimate back from him and I've done the timing chain, once I know there aren't any costly surprises with those two repairs I'll grab a group 27 and a set of adaptors. If I'm perfectly honest I'd kind of like to have a group 31, as they have even a higher reserve compacity than the 27, but the thing is I'd be kind of on the edge of getting into a specialty battery. I can get a ACDelco group 27 battery for $105, if I get a group 31 the price jumps to $185, so I'm thinking the 27 will be good enough for me.

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I knew what you meant we were on the same page!

The funny thing is I'm the only one at the shop that will drive the towmotor. Manual, steering, manual brakes ect, no the young guys don't like it lol.

Rember, need to see this old towmotor, pictures or it didn't happen. :)

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Rember, need to see this old towmotor, pictures or it didn't happen. :)
Well since you gotta be such a hard a$$ His nick name is forky pig.

Attachments

• 20221103_163520.jpg
    20221103_163520.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221103_163525.jpg
    20221103_163525.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221103_163556.jpg
    20221103_163556.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221103_163609.jpg
    20221103_163609.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 37

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
IDK, if you like optima then that's great. I had a bad experience with one of those years ago. I use to be an Interstate guy, but they have jacked their prices so badly we carry ACDelco at the shop now and that's what I'd put in the square. They are about as good as any other lead acid battery, and don't break the bank.
Optima USED TO be the best battery money coud buy, hands down I don't care what anyone says. But in the last few years they are complete garbage now. I have been battling with them for a while now, I got a red top that's been replaced under warranty 3 times in less than 2 years. It's got a 3yr warranty. That car is currently off the road so I have it on a maintainer, but when it does go back on the road I will not buy another. Red top at least, maybe the yellow tops are still okay IDK. But man it seems like nobody builds a good battery anymore, I just buy whatever is cheap from walmart or tractor supply lately. The AGM batteries from tractor supply seem okay and they're like 10-20 bucks cheaper than anywhere else.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Well since you gotta be such a hard a$$ His nick name is forky pig.
How did you know half of my middle name? I didn't think I ever posted it. Nice pictures, thanks. I'm still chuckling about the fact no one but you will drive it. Kids today?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
How did you know half of my middle name? I didn't think I ever posted it. Nice pictures, thanks. I'm still chuckling about the fact no one but you will drive it. Kids today?
That middle name thing, well it was just a lucky guess...

Yea, there is one other guy that will if push comes to shove drive it. Last winter I took a couple days off and we were expecting a engine to be delivered. We save the charges on a lift gate truck since we have a forklift. So that's the last time someone other than me drove it. One of the biggest things that gets guys I've tried to teach to drive it is that you really cannot turn the wheels unless it's moving at least a little, it's manual steering and of course as you'd expect it's heavy as hell. If you notice in the picture of the controls each knob is labeled. I did that for him, that was his condition to driving it. I went all out and marked them and clear coated the knobs so it wouldn't rub off to. I should have someone shoot some video of us towing a car with it or something, one of these days.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That middle name thing, well it was just a lucky guess...

Yea, there is one other guy that will if push comes to shove drive it. Last winter I took a couple days off and we were expecting a engine to be delivered. We save the charges on a lift gate truck since we have a forklift. So that's the last time someone other than me drove it. One of the biggest things that gets guys I've tried to teach to drive it is that you really cannot turn the wheels unless it's moving at least a little, it's manual steering and of course as you'd expect it's heavy as hell. If you notice in the picture of the controls each knob is labeled. I did that for him, that was his condition to driving it. I went all out and marked them and clear coated the knobs so it wouldn't rub off to. I should have someone shoot some video of us towing a car with it or something, one of these days.
What make motor is in it?. A customer of mine once had an old forklift with a slant 6 running on propane.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
What make motor is in it?. A customer of mine once had an old forklift with a slant 6 running on propane.
It's a flathead 4 cylinder of some sort. I always assumed it was Towmotor built but never really looked into it. When I've ordered parts for it, oil filter, carb kit ect, I've just gone off of whatever part number I can find on whatever part I need to replace. I might have to look into that because now I'm curious.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I lay a penny on top of my batteries, and it catches most of the corrosion.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

Thats also the ones im using in my s10.
You must be registered for see images attach

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's a flathead 4 cylinder of some sort. I always assumed it was Towmotor built but never really looked into it. When I've ordered parts for it, oil filter, carb kit ect, I've just gone off of whatever part number I can find on whatever part I need to replace. I might have to look into that because now I'm curious.
I believe it is a Continental. For their day, they were ok, once the motor was tired, it lacked the compression and vacuum to run right with the up draft carb. Another issue with them is their distributors would wear out and not hold a points gap causing it to run poorly. Converting it to propane with an electric lock off valve would give it a couple more years with that engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed82k20