Battery posts corrosion wtf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ben usin those things just aboot since GM concoted that brilliant, I mean stupid, idea to be "different" with the chitty side post terminal connections. They work great.
Cool thanks, that's kind of what I wanted to know is if those adaptors are decent or likely to leave me with a no crank. IDK, I don't really like side terminals either but I don't hate them either, what I do dislike is 2 choices, group 75 or 78. Actually there is a side terminal battery equivalent to the group 27 but they are not common at all, and don't wanna have to wait if for some reason I have to warranty the battery.
It was In the 2000 camaro SS when I bought it. Had it for 6 years before it died. Replaced with a Walmart battery before I sold it.
Funny thing, years ago I had a class C motorhome a 77 on a Dodge chassis I had the battery start giving me trouble on the coast and snagged one from Walmart. 7 years later I sold that RV with that walmart battery still in it and still going strong.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I just had a random no start issue on my truck a few weeks ago. Got out and fiddled with them a bit and fine-ish.
You must be registered for see images attach
Now yes i know this battery is not correct, nor is it the right size but it was free and good! I swapped adapters, bolts, and added the fabric rings under the terminals. Plus i sprayed it with non corrosion spray. Its been perfect ever since!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I just had a random no start issue on my truck a few weeks ago. Got out and fiddled with them a bit and fine-ish.
You must be registered for see images attach
Now yes i know this battery is not correct, nor is it the right size but it was free and good! I swapped adapters, bolts, and added the fabric rings under the terminals. Plus i sprayed it with non corrosion spray. Its been perfect ever since!
Group 65, it's a Ford battery! Back when I worked at Goodyear we worked on the local vanshare / vanpool, vans, and they replaced their batteries on their scheduled services. IRRC it was 4 years or 50K. These vans could vary yearly mileage drastically, some were driven so much they'd hit 50K around 2 years old. So we'd try to hang on to those batteries for ourselves. Their fleet was all Dodge vans at the time so I had used mopar group 24 batteries in everything back then.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Group 65, it's a Ford battery! Back when I worked at Goodyear we worked on the local vanshare / vanpool, vans, and they replaced their batteries on their scheduled services. IRRC it was 4 years or 50K. These vans could vary yearly mileage drastically, some were driven so much they'd hit 50K around 2 years old. So we'd try to hang on to those batteries for ourselves. Their fleet was all Dodge vans at the time so I had used mopar group 24 batteries in everything back then.
I got lucky in late 2020 when I got a free broken battery ( I would use it for a core to lower cost of another battery) that froze and bulged really bad because it wasnt held down and was jostling around in the original vehicle.
Noticed it had a sticker indicating it was new like 5 months earlier for autozone. Went and warrantied it (didnt ask questions thankfully) and it was a 65, which is what my f150 was suppposed to have. So I could stop using 78/34 size batteries which almost touch the hood in that f150 lol
Still going good, I added distilled water a few months back

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I got lucky in late 2020 when I got a free broken battery ( I would use it for a core to lower cost of another battery) that froze and bulged really bad because it wasnt held down and was jostling around in the original vehicle.
Noticed it had a sticker indicating it was new like 5 months earlier for autozone. Went and warrantied it (didnt ask questions thankfully) and it was a 65, which is what my f150 was suppposed to have. So I could stop using 78/34 size batteries which almost touch the hood in that f150 lol
Still going good, I added distilled water a few months back
Ya, good deal. you know that reminds me another good battery deal. Back in the 90's ACDelco had a.... I can't remember what they called it, but basically a scratch and dent program. Batteries in this program either sat to long at a shop without selling, or there was a cosmetic issue with the case. All sizes were $10 and they carried a really short warranty like 30 days I think.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Gotta a guy that has a refurbished and new battery shop in town. That's where I got this one. 40 bucks for refurbished or 80 for new one. I just get the refurbished one for 40 with old core. 40 for 4 years will do for me. He's an old man who has been there for 30 years. Hope he has a son take over. Hate to lose a cheap battery guy. Lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Gotta a guy that has a refurbished and new battery shop in town. That's where I got this one. 40 bucks for refurbished or 80 for new one. I just get the refurbished one for 40 with old core. 40 for 4 years will do for me. He's an old man who has been there for 30 years. Hope he has a son take over. Hate to lose a cheap battery guy. Lol
I'm curious what he does to refurbish them....

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

I'm not sure I'll ask him when I go there around Thanksgiving. I'll be on vacation. He gives you 15 bucks off for the core. Then I guess he cleans up the inside and refills them with fresh acid. Just a guess.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Most lead acid batteries fail due to lead sulfating that falls off the plates, lays across the bottom the battery essentially shorting out a cell. He most likely just rinses it out and reinstalls the acid then charges it correctly.

As a forklift tech, the equipment didn't have any suspension or cushioning except for their tires, if the floor of the plant wasn't flat with no bumps, the jarring of the battery would knock the sulfating off and kill the battery long before it's time. We would or have the battery company come in and change out the failed cell and get it back on the floor. Those batteries are $5-8k each and last about 3-6 years depending on maintenance.

Attachments

• L48 Toyota-1.jpeg
    L48 Toyota-1.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 44

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Most lead acid batteries fail due to lead sulfating that falls off the plates, lays across the bottom the battery essentially shorting out a cell. He most likely just rinses it out and reinstalls the acid then charges it correctly.

As a forklift tech, the equipment didn't have any suspension or cushioning except for their tires, if the floor of the plant wasn't flat with no bumps, the jarring of the battery would knock the sulfating off and kill the battery long before it's time. We would or have the battery company come in and change out the failed cell and get it back on the floor. Those batteries are $5-8k each and last about 3-6 years depending on maintenance.
Side story. We have a fork lift at the shop, a 1950's era Towmotor 6 volt system, down draft carb.

I can image your right about the "refurbishing" process, I wonder though how he actual does that. Can he do a sealtop battery? does he simply pop the vent caps pour the acid out, rinse and refill? Is the top completely removed from the battery and then somehow resealed? Not only is it interesting from a curiosity stand point but also I have to wonder if it's something a guy could apply on his own, provided he or she is takes the appropriate precautions around the battery. I'm not say I would actually do it, I've just never heard of battery refurbishing before.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Side story. We have a fork lift at the shop, a 1950's era Towmotor 6 volt system, down draft carb.

I can image your right about the "refurbishing" process, I wonder though how he actual does that. Can he do a sealtop battery? does he simply pop the vent caps pour the acid out, rinse and refill? Is the top completely removed from the battery and then somehow resealed? Not only is it interesting from a curiosity stand point but also I have to wonder if it's something a guy could apply on his own, provided he or she is takes the appropriate precautions around the battery. I'm not say I would actually do it, I've just never heard of battery refurbishing before.
At the first garage I worked at, the service manger used to just dump it out in the sink and rinse it out with the spigot, give it a shake, do it again then refill it with new acid.
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
This is why we have government regulations today, lead and hydrochloric acid in a public water system.....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
At the first garage I worked at, the service manger used to just dump it out in the sink and rinse it out with the spigot, give it a shake, do it again then refill it with new acid.
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
This is why we have government regulations today, lead and hydrochloric acid in a public water system.....
If I'm perfectly honest I haven't messed with sulfuric acid much, other than back in day some new batteries like for lawn equipment and such required a first fill. But I have done a fair bit with muriatic acid, mostly for cleaning purposes and I understand the need to dispose of it and handle it correctly. I can't image what would have happened if there had been bleach in one of those drains when that guy poured a battery out.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Interstate battery from Costco four our trucks is under $100…just sayin

I picked one up a couple weeks back. It replaced the overpriced optima red top.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In my experience, baking soda and water mix will neutralize the corrosion, do it a few times, overnight soaking the clamps is the best. After 5 years, I buy new batteries, period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bennlenl