Backup lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slugnutty

Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks.
My switch is in the transmission housing it self - underneath the vehicle facing from the center line out towards the passenger side.
When my floor mounted shift lever is in reverse it pushes against a plunger which activated a ball detent switch that moves a metallic ball inward towards the driver side when it moves inward - it completes the ground circuit to the power that is at the back up light in the rear (duh right? where else would they be?)

I do not have access to a PC that can post pictures but if you are curious I made this link in google to see the switch I'm talking about

http://bfy.tw/Fo5d

This detent / metallic ball switch is (or must be) all gummed up - the ball moves S-L-O-W-L-Y inward on a hot summer day (10 min or more) if I leave it in reverse, it sooner or later makes it to the contact point and the lights come on.

That's why I jumped out the circuit and put a lever arm actuated switch inside the cap so when my shift arm is in the reverse position it closes the switch contact arm and the lights come on.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks.
My switch is in the transmission housing it self - underneath the vehicle facing from the center line out towards the passenger side.
When my floor mounted shift lever is in reverse it pushes against a plunger which activated a ball detent switch that moves a metallic ball inward towards the driver side when it moves inward - it completes the ground circuit to the power that is at the back up light in the rear (duh right? where else would they be?)

I do not have access to a PC that can post pictures but if you are curious I made this link in google to see the switch I'm talking about

This detent / metallic ball switch is (or must be) all gummed up - the ball moves S-L-O-W-L-Y inward on a hot summer day (10 min or more) if I leave it in reverse, it sooner or later makes it to the contact point and the lights come on.

That's why I jumped out the circuit and put a lever arm actuated switch inside the cap so when my shift arm is in the reverse position it closes the switch contact arm and the lights come on.

Sorry, I missed your initial post - describing the application. Obviously you can disregard everything I posted.

Slugnutty

Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Nahhh it's all good.
That we can yak at each other is cool - thanks for the input though, never know when someone will need the info and because you took the time to add it - the search engines will pick it up.

Happens to me all the time, when I'm looking for some info on "X" I can't find the info on my favorite sites, so I Google it and it comes up in some thread from (example) and Oklahoma bow hunting forum in the off topic some one asks about a transmission switch.... you NEVER know where the info will came at you.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Thanks.

A NEW Standard Motor Products LS202 or AC Delco 14014559 backup lamp switch for the SM465 with a Weatherpak shroud connection is around $10-$15.
If it's missing or damaged... The extension pigtail that runs from the transmission switch to the backup lamp connection at the base of the steering column is very easy to build. GM didn't make a special harness for manual transmissions. The original SM465 pigtail plugs onto the standard harness at the base of the column. It's the connector for the Automatic Transmission Neutral-Safety/Backup-Lamp switch.
  • One Delphi Packard 56 series No. 2973431 Two Terminal Unsealed Male connector
    • Two MALE 56 No. 2971962 terminals.
  • One GM Weatherpak Two Cavity Tower No. 12015792 at the transmission switch.
    • Two GM Weatherpak Female Terminals No. 12124580.
    • Two Green Delphi Wire Seals No. 12015323
  • Four Ft LT Green 14AWG SXL Wire.
  • Four Ft DK Blue 14AWG SXL Wire.
  • Four Ft 1/4" Split Poly Loom.
The 70's SM465 used a switch with two 1/4 disconnect terminals and a molded rubber connector on the pigtail. If the 70's pigtail cable is damaged I'd build the 1980's pigtail with the sealed connector and use the 1980's switch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels