Backup lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I have no backup lights on my truck. I never have for as long as I can remember. All of the other lights work fine. I’ve tried adjusting the white thingy at the base of the column and I couldn’t get anything. Any more ideas? Bulbs are good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have no backup lights on my truck. I never have for as long as I can remember. All of the other lights work fine. I’ve tried adjusting the white thingy at the base of the column and I couldn’t get anything. Any more ideas? Bulbs are good

Did you jump the wires together at the white thingy?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have lights when I do that so I’m assuming that means my white thingy doesn’t work?

Yup you need a white thingy and a big block lol

Slugnutty

Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My 84 has the SM 4 speed trans, and there is a plunger which slides horizontally when the shift lever is in reverse..
The switch is so old and there is SO MUCH gunk in there that I need to wait a full 5 min for the plunger to slide sideways to make the connection to turn the lights on....

Your's MAY BE working also, and in the same condition as mine.
I just buy passed the trans switch and put a level switch on the trans hump that pushes the switch arm when in reverse.
(I also could have just put a switch on the dash also.)

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
My 84 has the SM 4 speed trans, and there is a plunger which slides horizontally when the shift lever is in reverse..
The switch is so old and there is SO MUCH gunk in there that I need to wait a full 5 min for the plunger to slide sideways to make the connection to turn the lights on....

Your's MAY BE working also, and in the same condition as mine.
I just buy passed the trans switch and put a level switch on the trans hump that pushes the switch arm when in reverse.
(I also could have just put a switch on the dash also.)
My switch was bad. I replaced it and adjusted the new one and now they work perfectly.

Slugnutty

Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My switch was bad. I replaced it and adjusted the new one and now they work perfectly.

How hard was it?
I've poked around looking for a replacement sw, but my Red Green goober fix is working, but replacing it correctly on the heap may be in the cards for 2018

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
How hard was it?
I've poked around looking for a replacement sw, but my Red Green goober fix is working, but replacing it correctly on the heap may be in the cards for 2018

If you can get the backup lights to work by applying upward/downward pressure on the shift lever (while it's in R), you might want to try this before buying a new switch. It might work and that switch is kind of a PITA to change:

Once, while I was poking at one side of the switch with my finger, the entire assembly made a ratcheting sound and rotated around the steering column. Seems that the plastic housing (which sets the open/close point for the contacts within) is infinitely adjustable.

It might take a few minutes to dial it in, but it is time well spent. Basically, the procedure goes like this: put your gear shift in R and then (with the key on) have someone watch the back-up lights. Push the switch one way or the other - I forget - until the back-ups come on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS