Are 7 inch LED headlights good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
im wondering if I should put in a drop in LED thats a 7 inch round or buy the H4 conversions and put in an LED H4

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
There are a few reputable companies that make led headlights. The two things that have made me pass in the past are legit DOT compliance and looking like alien technology. It seems there are better looking options for the round eyes than rectangular lamps.

JW Speaker is a reputable company, but there are a few others. Watch a few youtube reviews and look for ones with a clearly defined cutoff, a good heat sink design and a quality waterproof connector.

Otherwise you’ll piss oncoming traffic off, end up with a failed light and the other one will be full of condensation, lol!

Dysco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Very much like my truck lites. DOT compliment and warranty. Worth the extra cost vs. knock off crap.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
https://vintagecarleds.com

I have these in a few rigs and they are great quality. The owner Thomas is a really nice dude and will answer any questions you have if you call him. I just had a bulb burn out and he next day shipped me a new set of better headlights than I previously had. They also have the rectangular lights that I will be buying for my K10.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I never cared for how they looked or the 'color' of light they put out. 'Alien' is a good word for it. Many of them dont test so great either against the old sealed beam halogens.

If I had the 7" rounds I'd swap them to the e-code H4 bulbs.....something like a Cibie. I actually have a new in the box pair of the real deal (Made in Belgium) I bought for a Euro car and they never got used. Figured an old truck or hot rod might come along one day too. :cool:

Hella makes the square ones, so I'll definitely go that route.

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Don't be that guy to put led or hid in a stock halogen housing. They make look bright to you but you are blinding everyone with glare no matter how you think you aimed them. Projector housings prevent glare by using a cutoff. If you want the best lighting then buy led/hid projector headlights or retrofit them. Dapper lighting has some good choices otherwise get some projectors from retrofit source or lightwerkz and do it yourself.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I had the Hella's in my last truck. I like them because the lens was glass and had a slight dome. IIRC it has a shield inside the housing for cut off (if you wanted to run LEDS). I ran the original halogens 60/55W with an upgraded harness. They do make H4 bulbs in other wattages. Some are "off road", but could work on the street.

H4 12 V 100/55W, H4 12 V 100/80W, H4 12 V 130/90W.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dysco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
To reply about blinding people, thus far I haven't had any person bright me or in any way indicate my trucklites were blinding. I had my wife in my truck and I in her car just to see. My lights are bright, but actually not as bright as her Camry.
This is the difference between a well made DOT compliment headlights and cheap knock offs. Plenty of tests have shown this. Headlight Revolution is a good site with comparison videos etc.
LED is the real deal, there are several brands that don't look alien. Take your pick.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This truck wont actually be going down the rode anytime soon, its on property use for at least a couple of years. It needs a lot of TLC before I would put it on the road again. It hasnt gone down the rode since 2004. And I dont care what it looks like, my biggest thing is energy use and light output, so I want to go LED route. Those truck lites... are nice looking and good reviews. 100 a bulb though. That hurts haha.

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Notice by what I mean in the picture. The cutoff absolutely prevents glare. I seriously doubt your headlights will look like this. Your headlights may be DOT compliant but that doesn't mean they don't cause glare.

Secondly, HIDs are still far superior when it comes to light output. The Philips D2S bulbs and Osram nightbreakers produce over 5000 lumens. These are in proper projector housings as all led/hid should be. This is all with a 35w 5000k bulb and hylux ballast in a g5-r projector.

If you want true help about headlights, join headlight junkies on Facebook. You pay for what you get. If $100 for a bulb is expensive to you then I say just get H4 halogen upgrades. Id put HIDs in headlights and foglights before LEDs anyday.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Notice by what I mean in the picture. The cutoff absolutely prevents glare. I seriously doubt your headlights will look like this. Your headlights may be DOT compliant but that doesn't mean they don't cause glare.

Secondly, HIDs are still far superior when it comes to light output. The Philips D2S bulbs and Osram nightbreakers produce over 5000 lumens. These are in proper projector housings as all led/hid should be. This is all with a 35w 5000k bulb and hylux ballast in a g5-r projector.

If you want true help about headlights, join headlight junkies on Facebook. You pay for what you get. If $100 for a bulb is expensive to you then I say just get H4 halogen upgrades. Id put HIDs in headlights and foglights before LEDs anyday.

I don’t have facebook. Would you mind putting up a link to the projector and housing you used?

Edit: disregard, I see your previous post. I think I’m going to pick up a set of those Dapper projector housings with some HIDs. Not a bad setup for $350/pair.

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Most of the Euro made/designed lamps are cut glass.....I have put them in everything I drive and one of the first things I noticed is that about 75% of the time, if my highs are on, I dont get flashed. They are designed to illuminate the road, the berms, and then further DOWN the road.....not illuminate the tops of trees and blind every oncoming car.

Course having a truck sit alot higher wont help.

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
If you live where you get snow, or plan to go to places where snow happens, you'll want LED lamps with built in heaters that come on automatically at low temperatures. Drive in a snowstorm without lens heaters and the snow will collect on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ