Front indicators alternating when headlights on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I AM CORNHOLIO

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with headlights, indicators and marker lights.

When the headlights/parklights are off, the indicator and side marker flash in unison.

When the headlight or parklight circuit is powered, the indicator and side marker flash alternately. Both sides do the same, so it does indicate the correct direction.

Is this a normal function? The truck (my prfile pic) is a 73C10 with (I'm guessing) an 83 onwards front and interior

Cheers

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Hi Everyone,

When the headlights/parklights are off, the indicator and side marker flash in unison.

When the headlight or parklight circuit is powered, the indicator and side marker flash alternately. Both sides do the same, so it does indicate the correct direction.

Is this a normal function? The truck (my prfile pic) is a 73C10 with (I'm guessing) an 83 onwards front and interior

Cheers
Mine does the same, after a complete wiring harness replacement. It's just the way it works

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
One of the cool features I still to this day enjoy watching. :cool:

They are functioning correctly. :waytogo:

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Hi Everyone,

Cheers
As stated, it is correct. It has to do with the fact that the side marker lights don't have their own ground, they are powered through the front turn signal bulbs. So when the parking lights are on, and the turn signal is activated, the side marker light goes out when the front turn signal activates, hence the alternating action.

I AM CORNHOLIO

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
As stated, it is correct. It has to do with the fact that the side marker lights don't have their own ground, they are powered through the front turn signal bulbs. So when the parking lights are on, and the turn signal is activated, the side marker light goes out when the front turn signal activates, hence the alternating action.
I wonder if I give those side markers their own ground? Have you or anyone ever done it?

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I wonder if I give those side markers their own ground? Have you or anyone ever done it?
What would be the point? They are ungrounded by design so that they flash on and off.

Oldbear42

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 LWB Scottsdale
Engine Size
One of the cool features I still to this day enjoy watching. :cool:

They are functioning correctly. :waytogo:
I set up the front signal lights on my Goldwing (when I replaced the side reflector with an LED light) the same way because I liked it on my old 89 GMC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1