Anybody using LED tail lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Is there really a difference. Can just the bulbs be swapped, or are relays needed. I was thinking of getting some from superbrightleds :cheers::cheers:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I still have yet to get this done. I do have LED's in the back up lights. I have superbrightleds in my dash and overhead console and side front & rear marker lights, front marker lights and cab visor. Boat trailer lights are all LED too.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is there really a difference. Can just the bulbs be swapped, or are relays needed. I was thinking of getting some from superbrightleds :cheers::cheers:
Relays are NOT needed as the power drain is much lower for LEDS. You can swap just the blubs but if changing signal light blubs to LEDs you will also need to replace the flasher unit since the original flasher unit works off the amps draw of the bulbs... i.e. it is like a relay that heats up the contacts which then expand and open, cool and close thus flash the lights.. with LEDs the amps is so low the old style flasher will not heat up and thus will not work. A electronic flasher will be needed.

There are LOTS of options out there for LED replacements, superbrights are good products but come with a price. Check eBay for China and Hong Kong suppliers. A couple of years ago I replaced all the bulbs in our motorhome, over 50 of them, with LEDs. I purchased off eBay from Hong Kong and China for 1/10 what the U.S. suppliers were asking. And yes, the U.S. suppliers are buying from China and Hong Kong :)

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I still have yet to get this done. I do have LED's in the back up lights. I have superbrightleds in my dash and overhead console and side front & rear marker lights, front marker lights and cab visor. Boat trailer lights are all LED too.

Did it make a difference in your dash lighting?? I assume your dimmer does not work?? is yes, how did you do it??

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Relays are NOT needed as the power drain is much lower for LEDS. You can swap just the blubs but if changing signal light blubs to LEDs you will also need to replace the flasher unit since the original flasher unit works off the amps draw of the bulbs... i.e. it is like a relay that heats up the contacts which then expand and open, cool and close thus flash the lights.. with LEDs the amps is so low the old style flasher will not heat up and thus will not work. A electronic flasher will be needed.

There are LOTS of options out there for LED replacements, superbrights are good products but come with a price. Check eBay for China and Hong Kong suppliers. A couple of years ago I replaced all the bulbs in our motorhome, over 50 of them, with LEDs. I purchased off eBay from Hong Kong and China for 1/10 what the U.S. suppliers were asking. And yes, the U.S. suppliers are buying from China and Hong Kong :)

Thanks Ronnie

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea they are a good bit brighter. I had them in m most of my vehicles and m my square for a while. Took em out while diagnosing m my charging issue...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did it make a difference in your dash lighting?? I assume your dimmer does not work?? is yes, how did you do it??

Actually they do work with the dimmer. I think there is some kind of circuitry built into them. I love them. Got the $8.99/pc ones, just bought a few every week and picked away at it. Pics and part number info on this page about half way down and the following page:

http://gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6225&highlight=cluster&page=74

Back up LED's that @Old77 turned me onto. They are really bright and give off a blue tinted bright white light. @Old77 should have the info for where we got these, I forget, I think they were off eBay:

http://gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=247692&highlight=backup#post247692

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
AWESOME Guys, Thanks :cheers: This is a hell of a forum!!!! :gathering:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Heck ya! Awesome place to be...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

I've never bought from this seller but I've attempted to use LEDs like that before with poor results. When it comes to LED bulbs I've found that when they are cheap in price like that there's usually a reason for it. I've found that LEDs is not something you want to cheap out on if you want them to last and that style of LED has a poor track record of lasting very long.

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
i tried the cheap led in the tail lights they were not as bright as the old school bulbs i had in there.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
^^^another reason not to cheap out on LEDs. Get the good ones or don't even bother :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don