Anybody using LED tail lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
I still have yet to get this done. I do have LED's in the back up lights. I have superbrightleds in my dash and overhead console and side front & rear marker lights, front marker lights and cab visor. Boat trailer lights are all LED too.

I still have those Superbrightleds bulbs in my dash cluster.

Now I am opting to get all my exterior lights from front to back replace with LED.
I do have a passenger blinker bulb out on the front of my 87 Chevrolet r10 pickup. I cant remember what bulb goes in it. The blinker lens is inside the grill on this.....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I still have those Superbrightleds bulbs in my dash cluster.

Now I am opting to get all my exterior lights from front to back replace with LED.
I do have a passenger blinker bulb out on the front of my 87 Chevrolet r10 pickup. I cant remember what bulb goes in it. The blinker lens is inside the grill on this.....

I believe it is an 1157 style bulb.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Blah!
I went with cheap ones first so I could learn to make them work. IMO they are a huge hassle and attract cops.
Bulbs that don't have to flash or dim...fine place for a higher end bulb, I guess. Then again SOME high end bulbs have diode thingys ON THE BULB and that's part of the price .
Granted I play with / own other vehicles that aren't squares...in my experience it is NOT always as easy as changing a bulb. Do your homework and run dirt cheap EBay bulbs while you figure it out. That's sound advice. Use red taillight bulbs, not white ones...unless you like pink!

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Has anybody bought led tailights from lmc? They have a complete tail light assembly that are led not just the bulb. I know they're expensive but I like the look of complete assemblies instead of just changing the bulb

ThisOldK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Has anybody bought led tailights from lmc? They have a complete tail light assembly that are led not just the bulb. I know they're expensive but I like the look of complete assemblies instead of just changing the bulb

I was eying those too. They are just so expensive lol

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yeah I know they are 200 some bucks. I just love the look of the led tailights when the lights are lined up in the housing

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
$200 for those LED tails doesn't seem expensive to me. :shrug:

I am considering the extra safety factor they could provide. I was behind a small suv the other day that only had their third brake light working. Their main brake lights didn't work. With LED's you don't have to worry about standard incandescent lights burning out or vibrating out of use. They should last almost forever. $200 LED taillights is cheaper than some idiot rear-ending you because you didn't know your bulbs were burned out and they didn't realize you were stopping (or stopped) because they didn't see your lights...

This thread has made my mind wonder to thinking how cool it would be to buy a 3-D printer and learn how to do LED wiring work, and start doing this kind of thing out of my garage...

ThisOldK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350
$200 for those LED tails doesn't seem expensive to me. :shrug:

I am considering the extra safety factor they could provide. I was behind a small suv the other day that only had their third brake light working. Their main brake lights didn't work. With LED's you don't have to worry about standard incandescent lights burning out or vibrating out of use. They should last almost forever. $200 LED taillights is cheaper than some idiot rear-ending you because you didn't know your bulbs were burned out and they didn't realize you were stopping (or stopped) because they didn't see your lights...

This thread has made my mind wonder to thinking how cool it would be to buy a 3-D printer and learn how to do LED wiring work, and start doing this kind of thing out of my garage...

I guess you're right. We spent 280 on LED tails for my girls 2013 Hyundai Elantra so 200ish isnt bad for the added style and visibility

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yeah I spent 250 plus on LEDs for my colorado so I was just gonna cave in on those tail lights. I bought the led tailight housings for my 70 and they look awesome. I have a problem with buying lights haha

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is there really a difference...

IMO, YES!! Most LED bulbs will be an upgrade over standard incandescent bulbs. A whole LED array, like found in those taillight assemblies, will be superior to a simple LED bulb upgrade too.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I have never understood why you need a special flasher for leds. on mine I just used a standard heavy duty flasher like I always do because I tow. I have standard semi/trailer lights. highdesertranger

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 103

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35