Any good hacks/upgrades you've come up with for our trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Please list part # for the mini-starter and where can i get the bolts (besides salvage yards) IF in fact you do need different bolts for the smaller starter.

I don't have the p/n but you DO need the shorter bolts.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
These are the correct length bolts needed:

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Why is people with mental retardation in qoutes?

Couldn't tell ya. I've always wondered that myself. I've had it for at least 20 years and can't remember where I got it.

Nutro

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
V6
Does anyone know the easiest/best way to add a remote start setup on these trucks without cutting any factory wiring? Wanting to add to my 87 without power windows or locks

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
These are the correct length bolts needed:

You must be registered for see images attach

So just to clarify, a starter out of a later model Vortec engine will bolt up and run on a 1st gen SBC as long as I get the right bolts? Does it buy you anything other than size?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Does anyone know the easiest/best way to add a remote start setup on these trucks without cutting any factory wiring? Wanting to add to my 87 without power windows or locks
I seriously doubt that anyone makes a plug and play remote start for a truck that has been out of production for thirty years. If you want remote, I'm pretty sure you're going to end up splicing. Now, if you start with a quality kit, and do your own wiring, then at least you'l have the opportunity to make good solder connections, and seal them up properly, giving you the best chance at trouble free operation over time.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
So just to clarify, a starter out of a later model Vortec engine will bolt up and run on a 1st gen SBC as long as I get the right bolts? Does it buy you anything other than size?
It spins easier. Less draw on power. Im very happy with the change. First time i started it i was surprised how fast it started

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yep, bolts right on with the correct bolts. More power and less amp draw.

A good example is my '78 Burb. It had a fresh reman starter, manifolds and a good strong battery. It had heat soak issues and it had a very hard time cranking the 454 over when hot. I put on a good used 'vortec' style starter, a set of headers and also had to install a weaker, older battery. It cranks right over at all times now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Really?

Bet it was a LOT lighter tho.

Yeah, but that was my fault. There was an incident during the first test drive after installing the starter and headers. So I had to steal the battery from my C10 to get running again.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds

About the only way your going to be able to install a keyless entry, remote start, etc without cutting anything is to make your own jumper harnesses. If you can find plugs that match the plugs at the ignition switch, you could make all your cuts and splices at your jumper harness between the factory connector and the ignition switch. Same thing with the power door lock harness.

The other option would be to pick the terminals out of the connector body, and buy replacement Series 56 male/female and Series 59 male/female terminals to make a custom harness. American Autowire sells those terminals.

I have a box of old connector bodies and an assortment of terminals for projects just like your describing. I’m kinda meticulous about electrical work. I can’t stand seeing hacked up wiring, wire nuts, butt connectors, etc under the dash!!! I also have a huge collection of rolls of wire in different colors and sizes. I had to replace the evaporator core in my Ram truck, whoever installed the remote starter used a roll of white wire for everything. Replacing the evap core requires steering column and complete dash removal, which meant cutting every one of those white wires!! I went to my favorite salvage yard and got a dash and column wiring harness and cut each wire from each circuit and put quick disconnects on it ( the good ones, with heat shrink and glue for a good tight connection). That way every wire is the proper color, gauge, and makes things much easier to work on in the future. Nice thing with GM is the colors of wires rarely changed, and almost every car/truck of that vintage used the connector bodies.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I forgot the Scotchlock!! That’s at the top of the list also

Forum statistics