Any good hacks/upgrades you've come up with for our trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My understanding was that it is the same starter and will work with older motors the same

Yeah, so long as it's going on a motor with the 168 tooth flywheel. If you are using the car type 153 tooth flywheel, the small LT1/6speed starter is what you want.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I am surprised 196 replies and no mention of the "hot shot starter circuit" mod. highdesertranger

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
GM has a habit of recycling designs through out car lines, all 4 terminal seat belt buzzers / chimes have the same pin out (through '84). I have a B-body seat belt chime plugged in where the original seat belt buzzer was. There are 3 extra leads off the module, one hooked to the dash lights at the fuse box gives a head light on warning (as the module was designed). Can't recall on the other 2 terminals, but having no 'key in ignition' warning in '78 was part of it.
I've added them in other GMs (cars) and used all 3 separate leads.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Ok, but will it work on pre 95 engines?
I recall the 8.1s came with a standard (old school ) starter in our fleet back in the day. When we replaced them we were sent minis.

Yes but you have to get the matching bolts that go with it as well.

TommyD11730

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Huh.. I had no idea.
I know when we went from standard to "minis" on our 8.1s we retained the bolts. All we had to do was modify the 12v lead so it would fit on the solonoid.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Glad someone brought up the starter. I think it's 95 and later that are the smaller higher torque starters. 96 for sure. So if I find a starter at a pull a part, get one of these instead. Crank the engine faster, lighter weight and real nice when you have headers.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah but do you have an embroidered, stitched together heavy cotton Dixie flag for a headliner???

My dad worked for Smyrna post office growing up. I ran off and joined the Marines at 19 and discovered Alabama at 39.

You must be registered for see images attach

This will blend right in at ‘Dega this weekend

Poor Boyz Kustoms

Reaction score
First Name
john doe
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This is just a good mod in general and now that i have it i will not get it. it is a CB I cant tell you how many times i come speeding thru a 70 doing let's just say 70 and i ask for a bear report and a trucker responds with a bear near marker # whatever or clear pedal to the metal.
You must be registered for see images attach
(just a cool online pic. i found i take no credit for this one.)

ex trucker here, and thats something im doing when i get my square back on the road. magnum s9 and 102" whip

Poor Boyz Kustoms

Reaction score
First Name
john doe
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Glad someone brought up the starter. I think it's 95 and later that are the smaller higher torque starters. 96 for sure. So if I find a starter at a pull a part, get one of these instead. Crank the engine faster, lighter weight and real nice when you have headers.

use a 4.3 starter, they have the highest torque of all the gm starters at 210 i believe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005