Any good hacks/upgrades you've come up with for our trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbolover

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
These things:

You must be registered for see images attach

I throw every one of those things in the garbage where they belong.

On 07 and newer Silverados they have a fused power distribution block on the passenger firewall.
It comes with a 175 amp maxi fuse.
I have one of these on each side between the battery and my interior wiring or truck wiring.
I have another I just found yesterday at the local pick and pull that I am going to pit at the rear of the truck so I have a fused power source at the rear for my trailer plug and power for back up lights or light bars.
My newest one looks like this. May swap it for one of the singles I have up front.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
There is, apparently, a lightweight factory starter that is compatible with earlier small blocks? This was on 2000 and later vortec engines?

Please discuss, in great detail.

Please list part # for the mini-starter and where can i get the bolts (besides salvage yards) IF in fact you do need different bolts for the smaller starter.

Please list part # for the mini-starter and where can i get the bolts (besides salvage yards) IF in fact you do need different bolts for the smaller starter.

i recently, likely, roasted my starter----see my upcoming posts as to why.

So, i figured now would be a good time to try the mini-starter:

i found a part # that would work: AC Delco part # 3371002. Much smaller/lighter than the original style starters. More torque due to the gear reduction vs. the 1:1 ratio of the original type. Also, less amp draw.

Important NOTE: You will need starter bolts, GM part # 12338046. These bolts are shorter than the traditional starter bolts----i ASSume because the newer style starter cases are shorter too?

Bottom line for starter bolts: The traditional starter bolts WON'T work with the newer starters. You need the specific newer starter bolts.

The correct starter bolts for the mini-starter are on the left. Traditional bolts on the right.

i think this is a very good upgrade.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Good info........
But, can you verify the starter part numbers? The pic and write up have different numbers.
Thanks for posting. It's good info.

i recently, likely, roasted my starter----see my upcoming posts as to why.

So, i figured now would be a good time to try the mini-starter:

i found a part # that would work: AC Delco part # 3371002. Much smaller/lighter than the original style starters. More torque due to the gear reduction vs. the 1:1 ratio of the original type. Also, less amp draw.

Important NOTE: You will need starter bolts, GM part # 12338046. These bolts are shorter than the traditional starter bolts----i ASSume because the newer style starter cases are shorter too?

Bottom line for starter bolts: The traditional starter bolts WON'T work with the newer starters. You need the specific newer starter bolts.

The correct starter bolts for the mini-starter are on the left. Traditional bolts on the right.

i think this is a very good upgrade.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Good info........
But, can you verify the starter part numbers? The pic and write up have different numbers.
Thanks for posting. It's good info.

The starter is AC Delco part # 3371002. which cross references to a 1999 c-1500 pickup, but i assume Suburban, Tahoe, vans also use the same part#?

Also, i "heard" that the even later Astro starters have even more torque----cos remember, the 4.3 v-6 was equipped in vans all the way up to 2015. i didn't have time to research further and the 3371002 works well enough for me anyways.

The bolts are GM part# 12338064.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
P.S.

These brands look to have the identical starter as the delco, which leads me to believe that they are all made in the same factory in China, and they'll just put different stickers on depending on which brand it's going to be? Yes, the Delco is M.I.C. as i just checked....:(

Proform # 66268

Jegs' #10016

They look to have the identical case etc.

***Powermaster 9200*** Now this one says Made in USA. So maybe Powermaster originally designed this style of starter, but then licensed it out?

Also, the powermaster internals seem to be different. For example 4.40:1 gear reduction vs. 3.75:1 of the others.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Don't forget to check with DB Electrical. They are solid brand for starters and alternators. And they're on Amazon....free shipping :)

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I bought a GM performance mini starter years ago. Love it- truck starts easier with less current needed. But I had to modify my flex plate cover for it to fit.

Not quite sure why- hadn't heard of others needing to do this. If I remember right it was because my crate engine had a smaller flexplate... and that starter had a dual bolt pattern for both size flexplates.