Any good hacks/upgrades you've come up with for our trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Yep, bolts right on with the correct bolts. More power and less amp draw.

A good example is my '78 Burb. It had a fresh reman starter, manifolds and a good strong battery. It had heat soak issues and it had a very hard time cranking the 454 over when hot. I put on a good used 'vortec' style starter, a set of headers and also had to install a weaker, older battery. It cranks right over at all times now.

Just in case people haven't seen the vortec style next to the stock starter: Notice the dual bolt pattern for the vortec style starter. It will fit both size flexplates (153 tooth vs 168 tooth)

You must be registered for see images attach

I did however have to modify my flex plate inspection cover. Stock was just a round/semi circle. The new starter has the square "block" and so needed a "square hole". Guess the correct way might be grab a inspection cover from a newer vehicle from a junk yard?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just in case people haven't seen the vortec style next to the stock starter: Notice the dual bolt pattern for the vortec style starter. It will fit both size flexplates (153 tooth vs 168 tooth)

I did however have to modify my flex plate inspection cover. Stock was just a round/semi circle. The new starter has the square "block" and so needed a "square hole". Guess the correct way might be grab a inspection cover from a newer vehicle from a junk yard?

While similar in size, that's not what GM used on the vortec motors. I have a picture somewhere...

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
While similar in size, that's not what GM used on the vortec motors. I have a picture somewhere...

Oh... that's right... its coming back to me now. I was going to go with a vortec style one, but chose that Chevrolet perfomance gear reduction starter because of the dual bolt pattern for both flex plates. My new engine had a smaller flex plate than my old 400.

:shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh... that's right... its coming back to me now. I was going to go with a vortec style one, but chose that Chevrolet perfomance gear reduction starter because of the dual bolt pattern for both flex plates. My new engine had a smaller flex plate than my old 400.

:shrug:

There was also a straight pattern version of the "vortec" starter, it was used in cars with the smaller flywheel. It was used in the B-body, F-body and I think the Corvette too. I believe it went into production much sooner too, with the LT-1.

Top left is a 168 tooth starter
Bottom left is a 153 tooth 305 style starter (for 5-speed iirc)
Top right is a hokey Jeg's starter
Bottom right is the 168 tooth "vortec" starter

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
The more i look at this vortec starter talk i think i may upgrade my huge old one to a vortec and see how much faster it really does spin. May end up too fast with my 1100 CA battery.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
There was also a straight pattern version of the "vortec" starter, it was used in cars with the smaller flywheel. It was used in the B-body, F-body and I think the Corvette too. I believe it went into production much sooner too, with the LT-1.

Top left is a 168 tooth starter
Bottom left is a 153 tooth 305 style starter (for 5-speed iirc)
Top right is a hokey Jeg's starter
Bottom right is the 168 tooth "vortec" starter

Dang! You sure got a lot of starters!
Looks like you need more engines to go with em all..
:p

Last edited:

Doug13

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
Surbanban
Engine Size
350c.i.
Hello guys , Dougnsalem wanted me to repost the barn door straps i made for my Suburban. I took some old seat belt's and made some door straps out of them . I measured the length I wanted and I cut to fit . I used 10 pound test fishing line to sew them up .

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello guys , Dougnsalem wanted me to repost the barn door straps i made for my Suburban. I took some old seat belt's and made some door straps out of them . I measured the length I wanted and I cut to fit . I used 10 pound test fishing line to sew them up .

You could order limiting straps for that
We use em on 4 links

https://www.amazon.com/DOUBLE-LIMIT...ting+strap&dpPl=1&dpID=41tM-ERM5bL&ref=plSrch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL