Any Father/Son trucks out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

binderbart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Out of all the trucks I have, the 1979 GMC I bought from my Dad is my favorite. Dad was the Pioneer seed corn salesman for our area. I'll never forget it, I was in High school and Me and my brother rode with Dad to the big town for something. On the way in we came up on the big truck lot, They sold trucks only. Dad said "Lets pull in and see what a new truck cost". Before it was said and done he was the proud owner of a 1979 GMC 3/4 ton 2WD. 350 engine, granny low tranny, 4:10 gears . Now Dad was frugal with his money so it came with out a dome light and AM radio, no FM. It was the only new vehicle he ever had. He used it mainly to deliver the seed corn to the farmers before planting season started. All ways had my heart on that truck.
Bought 6-7 years ago, I saw a 87 chevy half ton 4x4 advertised I was going to go look at. I stopped down to tell Dad. That was when he made my day. His words exactly, "why go look at that truck, why not just buy mine". I cleared it with the better half first and it was mine. I went to pay him for it, a whole whooping $1500, the conversation went like this
Dad: You know the battery is weak
Me: I was plannin on putting a battery in it
Dad: the heater fan motor don't work
Me: I'll replace it
Dad: It has bias ply tires on it
Me: already planned on going to radials
Dad: well , give me $1200 and we'll call it a deal
I took him for a ride after the upgrades and he agreed it was better with the new tires, but probably couldn't haul the loads his bias ply did. We lost Dad to cancer a few years back, really glad I bought that truck now, If ever it needs anything I go new. I plan on restoring it some day to mint condition, all the way down to the cardinal red paint job. Just wondering if anyone else has a similiar story. Heres some shots of the old girl.

Attachments

• gmc-chevy truck 007.jpg
    gmc-chevy truck 007.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 102
  • gmc-chevy truck 008.jpg
    gmc-chevy truck 008.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 117
  • gmc-chevy truck 009.jpg
    gmc-chevy truck 009.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 130
  • gmc-chevy truck 010.jpg
    gmc-chevy truck 010.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 105

binderbart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
what made me come in and post this is, I got pulled over two nights ago on the way to work. Headlight burned out. I changed it today, halogen on one side, sealed beam on the other. Thats how tight he could be. no since and spending the extra money to make the headlights match when one still works.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Don't know if this counts but my truck was my father-in-laws. It has had half a dozen owners, all close to the family, over the years where it was sold and traded as a spare work truck for landscaping, hunting truck, its had a service body on it, and an old fishing truck. My father-in-law has owned it two or three separate times. He gave it to me because I was always complaining about not owning a truck for various projects and the wife is frugal about gas prices all the time so I couldn't ever convince her to let me buy a truck as a DD. I did some computer work for his business and we called it an even trade. Now he likes to tell me all the history or the truck all the time whenever I have been working on it, so I can really appreciate the history of a father son truck even though mine is from my father in law.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I come from a family of car owners, nobody ever had any trucks. So there were none to be passed down along the way. My kids may eventually get my trucks, but they were already old and worn out when I got them, and I don't see myself ever buying a new truck.

Long story short, nothing cool like that here.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah, my truck is one. Dad bought both the truck and a slide-in camper the year before I was born. That set-up was used to camp from 1979 until 2011. The combo has been all over the U.S. and into Canada once. As far west as Wyoming, Colorado, Yellowstone. North through North Dakota and Montana. Through Toronto to New York and the Niagra Falls. Down South to the Mammouth Caves. And to countless amusements around the midwest.

I knew it was winter when dad and I would take the truck to grandpa's to get the snowmobiles. Our camping trips were close when we would go to grandpa's (do you sense a theme here?!) to load up the camper into the bed. The most special was when we would just go "cruisin" around the neighborhood. There was one particular hill we would go down that Dad would floor it as we crested the top of it. I didn't know any better because I was so young, but that is what got me hooked on the feeling of acceleration and g forces.

Through the years our snowmobiles and camper were stored in grandpa's old hay barn, because we lived in town and didn't have room ourselves. Mom and Dad bought Grandpa's place in the country when I was 12. Now, 21 years later, the truck which is now mine, is stored in the same place that the camper once occupied. It's really crazy to think about now that I type it out and read it for myself......

The truck itself is mostly stock, but as I hear stories Dad reveals more things he had changed. Engine, transmission, and axles are 100% stock. Valve covers have been off once to my knowledge. Timing was always being adjusted when haulong the camper. Part-time hubs were swapped in, but dad didn't like them so he swapped back to the full-timers and left the lock-outs. Exhaust is not original, but what do you expect from a MI truck?! Getting close to 100k miles. Green on green from the start, and it always will be. Can't think of anything else to ramble about.... that's why I love my truck!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah my truck is a father/son truck. Best experience of my life that I hope I can experience with my own sons.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
My trucks been in the family since it was bought new in 1977. It originally was owned by my Great Grandfather who then sold it to my Grandfather, My dad needed a truck so he sold it to my dad. The truck was traded back to my grandfather for a Honda Crx, then my grandfather got sick and Died. So the truck sat for about ten years and my grandmother would not get rid of it no matter how much somebody said they would pay. She would always tell them it was gonna be mine.

Altho I didnt pay for it I drove it for several years then parked it. Sold the motor and trans to a local dirt track racer.

Now I can say that I brought it up to my dad about doing a ground up resto and I wish I took a pic of how his faced lit up. So in short me and Dad are doing a full resto on our familys hand me down truck. I just wish my Great Grandfather and Grandpa where still around to help out.

But on my tailgate im gonna have PAPAS OLE TRUCK. And have all four of our dog tags airbrushed on the tailgate as well.

Hope this applies to this thread

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would say your story applies 4thgen truck! I like these stories. Thank you for you and your families services.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
My love for squares started when I was a kid and my Grandpa had a blue '79 longbed. I loved that truck and would also ask him to take me for rides in it. I loved sitting in that passenger seat as we puttered down the road listening to that little inline 6 purr. It was a great memory. He didn't know how much I loved it until on a whim he got an offer to sell it to a neighbor and he took it :( Fast forward to November 2003. My brother had a neighbor out in Indiana who had this white '77 longbed. He was starting to look for a "new" truck and I told him he should offer to buy the white '77 as his replacement. A few days after mentioning that I get a call from him asking me if I want to buy it. I was in shock! I was definitely interested. On a crazy hair I approached my dad to ask him if he wanted to build it together as OUR truck. I fully expected him to say no for various reasons but to my surprise he said yes :) We drove out there, bought it and drove it all the way back home. Almost 10 years later here we are. That truck is fully of memories now and will never leave our family. Not only because my dad and I built that truck and made it what it is today but now my boys love it a lot and enjoy going for rides and "helping" me work on it. Eventually one of them will inherit the truck but I hope to get another square(s) to make into our own father/son project with them :) It's an irreplaceable experience.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Thats why i love this forum not only for the info but for all the family builds and experiences . I will always charish the time our family has with this truck.

And Ty for the thanks alot of people dont respect the sacrifices that people make.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
My truck was a father/son truck. I'm the 3rd titled owner.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I wish I knew more detailed info on the history of my truck. I would love to know who's owned it before me and kind of know it's path before it got to me.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Yea its always great to know the history. Its like the truck is alive and you wanna know the journeys and adventures it has. That sounded alil like a hippy lol, hope it made sense.

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
My 88 is going to be a father son project, hopefully some day he will have a story like one of the ones above

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Im sure he will. And from me to you he will never forget and always charrish the time spent together. I bought my dads harley to be able to ride with him n get closer . Well he sold his new bike and we never really hung out since. But with the truck gettin worked on we now have something that both of us can enjoy and relate to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris