Aluminum Silverado wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
strip off clear and polish.. the only way to fix them.

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
I used a/c condenser cleaner (usually HVAC guys will have some) to clean off my aluminum pontoons on my old boat. It will eat the clear right off, and give you raw aluminum. Strip them down, then start sanding. Finish with a drill buffer wheel or one on a die grinder, and some aluminum polish (I like Mother's) and you can get that result.

When you're done, cover them with Shark Hide. it's a thick aluminum clear cote that will hold up for years to harsh conditions. It's made of for pontoon boat logs and aluminum boats that go into sea water.

You must be registered for see images attach

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
Yep, a mild paint stripper to remove the clearcoat, then a polish (by hand) with some mag/aluminum polish to clean the surface up. That will provide a nice factory finish. Wet sanding and polishing the aluminum will add even more shine.

I don't have a recommendation for paint stripper anymore. There was some stuff that took GM's wheel clearcoat right off without hurting the aluminum, but it's out of production. It was made by Kleen Strip and was called Peeler, then changed to Aircraft stripper. However, there is still remaining stock here and there. I recently picked up two cans of it from Federated in Amherst VA. It was the only two cans they had left.
Yup -- the good stuff has been legislated out of existence.

I used it for (what else?) stripping my Citabria and used it in a carry-over on some of my vehicle projects. I wouldn't hurt aluminum, magnesium and almost any other metal I used it on. Steel would get an interesting patina on it though - kinda like a rainbow effect that disappeared when you clear-coated it, unfortunately.

I recently bought another gallon to do some more work and I might just have been better to use Grape Kool-Aid since this new stuff is so useless as to be a joke.

My previous source was Aircraft Specialty Spruce Supply in Fullerton, CA. Not sure they are even still in business in the nanny state of all nanny states ---> California.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
@TPISly-C10, What did you use to shine those up. I would like to get the aluminum moldings on my truck to shine like that again.
aluminum moldings is way more thin, then you need to take good care not to go too hard on those, a 1500-2000 wet sand paper maybe and aluminium polish like Autosol or Mother ect....is a good way to do it! :)

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I'm in the process of working myself to death polishing a set of these. Did GM make these or did they have them made by a aftermarket wheel company? Do they have a name or part number??? There is a mark on the backside lip that looks to be AA. And an stamped number with an upside down number???

Mine had no clear coat.

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1881.jpg
    IMG_1881.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1884.jpg
    IMG_1884.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 51

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
All GM wheels were made by an outside supplier, like "Motorwheel" or "Alcoa" or Kelsey Hayes, etc.

I do not recall who made these; I do recall there were two version. Early version was forged, and then at some point they went cast as a cost savings.

K

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
I used a/c condenser cleaner (usually HVAC guys will have some) to clean off my aluminum pontoons on my old boat. It will eat the clear right off, and give you raw aluminum. Strip them down, then start sanding. Finish with a drill buffer wheel or one on a die grinder, and some aluminum polish (I like Mother's) and you can get that result.

When you're done, cover them with Shark Hide. it's a thick aluminum clear cote that will hold up for years to harsh conditions. It's made of for pontoon boat logs and aluminum boats that go into sea water.

You must be registered for see images attach
The condenser cleaner is acid... you may have a tough time buying it unless you are a licensed a/c repairman...
It can hurt you... if not properly diluted... it may be on the restricted list these days...
Mother's may be the best aluminum polish ever...
Never heard of SharkHide... Made in USA! Have to check it out...

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm in the process of working myself to death polishing a set of these. Did GM make these or did they have them made by a aftermarket wheel company? Do they have a name or part number??? There is a mark on the backside lip that looks to be AA. And an stamped number with an upside down number???

Mine had no clear coat.

All GM wheels were made by an outside supplier, like "Motorwheel" or "Alcoa" or Kelsey Hayes, etc.

I do not recall who made these; I do recall there were two version. Early version was forged, and then at some point they went cast as a cost savings.

K
American Racing also made some of the GM aluminum wheels. AR may have even offered some designs to GM but never sold the exact same wheels from their own line. Probably an agreement to GM that any replacement wheels were only bought from GM dealers.

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
American Racing also made some of the GM aluminum wheels. AR may have even offered some designs to GM but never sold the exact same wheels from their own line. Probably an agreement to GM that any replacement wheels were only bought from GM dealers.
I saw a set of snowflake wheels from a Bandit style Trans Am that were stamped Western on the backside.

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size

K
How can you tell if they are Forged or Cast?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Try sanding and polishing 5 of these alloy wheels and 2 of those alloy bumper ends. Damm I wish I had before pictures

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-14_232019.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-14_232019.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2023-02-14_232025.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-14_232025.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400