Aluminum Silverado wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJakey

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I scooped a set of factory aluminum wheels for my 87 Silverado. I thought I could just steel wool them and they’d polish up, but that’s hasn’t been the case. These wheels have little ridges in them and I think what I initially thought was grime may be scratches. Any suggestions on how to bring these back to life?

You must be registered for see images attach

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Believe these were like many other gm aluminum wheels and were not polished from the factory. After being milled the raw finish was cleared. If you start polishing them you're in for the long haul of knocking down those original mill marks. Some sort of chemical non abrasive stripper/solvent/cleaner or combination there of would be needed. At least to retain the originality and get out of the labor to polish the ridges out.
Someone more familiar with chemicals may chime in and have some suggestions.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Believe these were like many other gm aluminum wheels and were not polished from the factory. After being milled the raw finish was cleared. If you start polishing them you're in for the long haul of knocking down those original mill marks. Some sort of chemical non abrasive stripper/solvent/cleaner or combination there of would be needed. At least to retain the originality and get out of the labor to polish the ridges out.
Someone more familiar with chemicals may chime in and have some suggestions.

Yep, a mild paint stripper to remove the clearcoat, then a polish (by hand) with some mag/aluminum polish to clean the surface up. That will provide a nice factory finish. Wet sanding and polishing the aluminum will add even more shine.

I don't have a recommendation for paint stripper anymore. There was some stuff that took GM's wheel clearcoat right off without hurting the aluminum, but it's out of production. It was made by Kleen Strip and was called Peeler, then changed to Aircraft stripper. However, there is still remaining stock here and there. I recently picked up two cans of it from Federated in Amherst VA. It was the only two cans they had left.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
lot of sanding, polishing and elbow grease! ;) thx God i'm only need one for spare tire! loll ;)

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
lot of sanding, polishing and elbow grease! ;) thx God i'm only need one for spare tire! loll ;)

Bringing old wheels like that back to life is definitely a labor of love! Or madness, or both.. Lol

Marcoman

Reaction score
First Name
Marco
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

Those are looking killer!

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
@TPISly-C10, What did you use to shine those up. I would like to get the aluminum moldings on my truck to shine like that again.

Last edited:

NJakey

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

These look ridiculously good!

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yep, a mild paint stripper to remove the clearcoat, then a polish (by hand) with some mag/aluminum polish to clean the surface up. That will provide a nice factory finish. Wet sanding and polishing the aluminum will add even more shine.

I don't have a recommendation for paint stripper anymore. There was some stuff that took GM's wheel clearcoat right off without hurting the aluminum, but it's out of production. It was made by Kleen Strip and was called Peeler, then changed to Aircraft stripper. However, there is still remaining stock here and there. I recently picked up two cans of it from Federated in Amherst VA. It was the only two cans they had left.
aircraft remover was the best stuff going. Sent straight down from the gods. Then a few ********* killed themselves with the fumes and they had to outlaw it to protect idiots from themselves. Now there is nothing that compares. A damn shame.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

Step 2 looks killer but... OMG!!! :eek: The finished product!:Whoa::waytogo:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
aircraft remover was the best stuff going. Sent straight down from the gods. Then a few ********* killed themselves with the fumes and they had to outlaw it to protect idiots from themselves. Now there is nothing that compares. A damn shame.

I can sort of understand how ********* could do that. It's funny to see wings melt right off of flies. But when the breeze changes direction, Peeler in your eyes is not fun, lol.

calredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kerch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use Zephyr buffing supplies you can get them at your big truck parts stores and others look up how to do aluminum polishing on internet or you tube it will take some money if you want to do it the easy way

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400