Adjusting your headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I was wondering how y'all adjusted your headlights. I was thinking of just shining them at the garage door and then adjusting them. How far away should I be? What have yall done? I'd like to hear other ideas.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
From 15 feet away I adjust mine to three feet from the bottom of the beam using a wall or garage door. I adjust the horizontal until the beams inner edges are approximately 6 inches off center line of my hood while viewing from the center of the bench seat.
Done this at least to 5 squares. always pretty happy

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I always just approximate mine by eye. I like mine higher then normal though. Dad always said i set mine to "coon spotter"
You drive too fast!!! lights cant keep up with your eyes on the road,LOL

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Caveat: Three feet vertical if its a c10....maybe more if its a k or lifted obviously.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I measure from the ground to the center of the bulb; record that, and tape a piece of twine to the door and tape the other end to the garage door/building (about 15 feet away).
This allows you to measure from the string to the center of the lamp to the center of where it shines on the building/whatever.
That way using the twine and ground to the center of the bulb measurements, you can do the same thing to wherever you're shining them and adjust accordingly.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Snoots & @Swearbody have the plan. Best way I fine tune the lights after setting on a screen (garage door, wall etc.) is on a lightly fogy night. Straight level road, you can see exactly where the lights are pointing. This is also very helpful adjusting fog lights since the beams are wide but very narrow in height.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
About 20 feet from the wall of church next door. Then adjust so they're not going to be pointing in the eyes of oncoming drivers and at a good height, typically about level with the lights themselves.

My vehicles are not lifted. I guess a lifted 4x4 might need them adjusted down a tad.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Each head light has two screws to adjust up and down... and sideways. WTF is the problem here? Stand in front of one light and study the pattern on the ground then switch sides. In a minute you can see where each light hits the road and then adjust them where you want them to be. What's the big deal?
I like my drivers side to be hitting the center line and not too high... the passenger side can be a bit higher and more to the left, hitting the ditch somewhat to see the deer.
A quiet country road (and a beer) serves me better than the side of a barn.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I prefer the wall/ garage door setup as well. I Pull up close too the wall and mark off a + at the center of the beam. pull back 20 feet or so and make the beam hit just under the + and a little to the right on both sides.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I prefer the wall/ garage door setup as well. I Pull up close too the wall and mark off a + at the center of the beam. pull back 20 feet or so and make the beam hit just under the + and a little to the right on both sides.

This^

A friend of mine has the Hoppy headlight aiming kit that was a required GM tool at every dealership. It includes things to calibrate them to compensate for floors being not level. Once they are calibrated, each one has internal mirrors that reflect the view of the cross-hair on the opposite side headlight it’s a pretty slick setup.

Anyway, in the instructions it states the DOT regulations for whatever year the tool was made that the passages side headlight is suppose to be calibrated with a one foot drop for every 50 feet. The drivers side is the same, except it is also to be aimed to the right 6 inches from straight ahead. I assume that’s so your drivers headlight doesn’t blind oncoming traffic

You can do something similar at home easy enough. Find a smooth flat, level parking lot. Turn on the headlights, pull up as close to a building as possible. Put a tape mark on the wall the center of the light beam. Back up the truck 50 feet, adjust the pass headlight so the beam center is a foot lower than your mark. Do the same on the drivers side, but adjust it towards the pass side 6 inches.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I decided to look up the hoppy headlight tool and found this video.

I copied the ETCG hoppy aimer video before seeing that you posted it. I thought me, the “kid,” was gonna be the one to reveal that little nugget.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120