how fast is your power window?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Because I am bored and slightly geeky I timed them ha-ha

Engines running

1987 GMC 6 to 7 seconds going down and the same time going down
2001 Tacoma 2 to 3 seconds going down and the same time going down

Can the relay kit improve on 7 seconds or is that for really slow windows?
That's about how mine were, 6-8sec to go up or down. It's a crap shoot whether or not the relay kit will work or not. Like I said above, it helped my pass side but not the driver's. My theory is the driver's motor was on it's way out anyway.

shortshift

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
77 gmc had slow power windows.. Replaced worn out regulators and that totaly solved my problems. The old ones were not only worn but the rollers were trash. Also you can run a direct 12 V from the battery to the motor and see if you have a wiring problem or switch problem. Good luck

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I did the relay and express down modification on my 81 a few years ago. The windows are pretty fast now. Not new car fast, but definitely better than they were stock.

PartsMan79

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I had my driver window actuator out, thinking it was bad, the other day.
It runs much faster after cleaning and lubing.
I need to do the passenger side now.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Did the relay thing on Brody's(G-son) 79 K10 on just the driver side. The passenger side worked great so we didn't do it. Did NOT help the driver side one bit. BUT, it allowed me to replace the gears on the motor, they were toast. SO, at least it goes up and down now.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Manual windows never fail. Even better, it leaves more room in the doors for speakers!
Well the regulators can still fail/wear but they are easy to replace. However, I would like to point out that square bodies have very fast crank windows. the fords of the time did too. The GMt 400, im not sure. but the gmt 800 crank Windows SUCK they take a lot of cranking and the crank mechanism is so flimsy and cheap.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Slower than in modern cars, but not terribly slow. Driver side window is faster, passenger window is slower, will get a relay mod soon.

All windows got noticeably faster after proper greasing of mechanism.

My rear windows were terribly slow and they got a relay mod that solved the issue.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
With the power windows so slow in our trucks a solution may be to use a step up converter in a circuit for power windows. Having a converter by the motor that takes whatever is reaching it and outputting a steady 14 - 15 V would make a window regulator substantially faster.

I used a lab power supply to power window regulator to determine if the regulator itself is not an issue and about 14 volts was enough to get them to work like in a modern car.

Last edited:

oplinger

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
A, no way I'd go from red to black in a white truck. A white vehicle with a red gut is just sexy IMO. B, if you do switch, NuRelics really is the way to go. They're not cheap but install is a breeze and they work great.
Ughhhh red has NEVER been appealing to me. This truck was originally a red on red truck, and if it was still a red exterior when I saw it, there is no way I would have even entertained the idea of buying it. lol.

But if I do switch to power windows I def wouldn't skimp on the parts. Pay once for the good stuff rather than pay for the cheaper stuff and then wish I paid for the good stuff anyways.

Hottshot0069

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.0 / 305
Here's mine in my 87. I did lube the tracks when I had the door panel off.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Are you still using the OEM motors? What type of lube did you use and where all did you apply it, channels and the the motor? My passengers side is super slow and my drivers side will not roll all the up on its on.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Ughhhh red has NEVER been appealing to me. This truck was originally a red on red truck, and if it was still a red exterior when I saw it, there is no way I would have even entertained the idea of buying it. lol.

But if I do switch to power windows I def wouldn't skimp on the parts. Pay once for the good stuff rather than pay for the cheaper stuff and then wish I paid for the good stuff anyways.
Haha Yeah it's not everyone's cup of tea. I don't care for the red on red, that's too much. But white on red is gorgeous.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Are you still using the OEM motors? What type of lube did you use and where all did you apply it, channels and the the motor? My passengers side is super slow and my drivers side will not roll all the up on its on.
I can’t say if the motor is OEM or not. i wasn’t having any problems with them so didn’t look, just took the opportunity to grease the tracks since door panels were off. I used a white lithium grease.

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban
This my 3rd burb with power windows and no matter how much I lube the gears, channels etc... they are slow. I have also installed all new weather-stripping which doesn't help much either. They are notoriously slow because the way they are wired up with out relays like modern cars.
Having said all that, sometimes they are excruciatingly slow like the front passenger one on my present 87 burb. I have a new motor for this one. This will get it back to OEM slow. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod