how fast is your power window?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hwyix

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
6L
How fast our your power windows to go up? to go down? Both my windows work but they are so slow I only go half way down.

Before I tear into them I want to see what normal is. Maybe that's just the way it was stock in 1987.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In 2024, folks throw the transmission into reverse as soon as the car starts, pulling out of their driveway texting, steering, latching their seatbelt, tearing open a bag of chips, popping a bottle of Moutain Dew and fiddling with the HVAC. With their other hand they are working the power window, locks and remote mirrors.
In 1987, I just sat there and marveled at the magic of the power window as it went up and down, and up and down.
Brand new, a squarebody power window was maybe 2/3 the speed of the modern vehicle. Some people have worked with the grounds, regulators, motors, wiring sizes and relays to speed them up a bit, but times were slower back then too.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I have a 84 C1500, mine are slow also. I thought I might be changing motors, but they still seem to work, just real slow.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You might try some lubricant in the "C" channels and see if it speeds things up.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Current speed depends on if I've had my Wheaties that morning (I have crank handles on the Suburban), but from what I recall on the power window trucks in the past, there was never a race speed. Seems like faster than 2 or maybe 3 inches per second was as good as anything? Probably not much help to you. But there are some options for running relays instead of all the power going through the switches, and making sure everything is lubed up well is important too.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Current speed depends on if I've had my Wheaties that morning...
I have Armstrong windows in mine as well. It's comical when someone under 30 is riding with me and I hear *click click click* as they hit the power lock switch trying to control the window. They don't know what the big handle is for, and when I tell them, they invariably crank it both ways a few times with a smile on their face like it's some sort of quaint novelty. Sometimes I wish they were powered, but the old cranks never give me trouble.

You must be registered for see images attach

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Mine were always painfully slow in my '85, especially the driver's side. Had to rev the truck to get it to move at a reasonable pace. Added the LMC HD relay kit, that helped the pass side a good bit, didn't do squat for the driver's side. Then they both just randomly died one night, one up, one down. So I ordered the kit from NuRelics and threw all that stock garbage in the trash. They work great now! Fast as a modern car, even without it runnng.

hwyix

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
6L
Because I am bored and slightly geeky I timed them ha-ha

Engines running

1987 GMC 6 to 7 seconds going down and the same time going down
2001 Tacoma 2 to 3 seconds going down and the same time going down

Can the relay kit improve on 7 seconds or is that for really slow windows?

hwyix

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
6L
Here's mine in my 87. I did lube the tracks when I had the door panel off.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wow, that looks like about 3 seconds thats 2x faster than mine. Its about as fast as my 2001 tachoma.

oplinger

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
The idea/want to switch from manual windows to power is definitely on the list of ideas for when I redo my interior. Its currently all red, and I want to switch it to all black. Buttttt the simplicity of manual windows and knowing they will never just stop working is also a nice thing. Definitely torn.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
The idea/want to switch from manual windows to power is definitely on the list of ideas for when I redo my interior. Its currently all red, and I want to switch it to all black. Buttttt the simplicity of manual windows and knowing they will never just stop working is also a nice thing. Definitely torn.
If I would have had my choice, I would have chosen manual even though my power windows work well. I say keep them.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
A, no way I'd go from red to black in a white truck. A white vehicle with a red gut is just sexy IMO. B, if you do switch, NuRelics really is the way to go. They're not cheap but install is a breeze and they work great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag