77 C30 Power window & Lock wiring issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91frppgt

Reaction score
First Name
randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
l86
Hey guys, new to the forum here.

I'm currently wiring a 77 C30 dually. Restored it, and swapped a gen5 6.2 in it with 8l60. I've got everything squared away but the power windows and locks. I did put the relays in the windows. I think I have a grounding issue going on, but not sure what that would be. The wires are hooked up correctly per the instructions. The windows function and go up and down fairly decent as wired to the instructions. If I unhook the ground from the relay, they go real slow much like the factory setup, so i've had the ground off while testing.

What i've noticed is the windows travel up real quickly and get 12v at the switch going up. It appears to work as intended. But going down, the windows get 6-7v and you can tell they are struggling.

The truck is charging correctly, and battery is a new interstate that is holding up. I acquired this truck without any wiring, i'm using a american autowire harness. I have the factory harness in the doors that I am currently using.

For the power locks, can I use a relay like for the power windows? The switches I have for the power lock doesn't fit the electrical connection. Do I have the wrong switch? I'm not seeing how the switch will plug into the electrical connection. The power locks have 3 wires. 1 appears to be constant power, the others are 12v for lock and unlock correct? I do know there is a relay in the factory trucks, but I'm fairly certain I don't have one in the truck.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Pics for attention.

Attachments

• IMG_5733.jpg
    IMG_5733.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5734.jpg
    IMG_5734.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5735.jpg
    IMG_5735.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5736.jpg
    IMG_5736.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5737.jpg
    IMG_5737.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 69

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That's the right switch but that connector sure doesn't look right. That appears to be a window connector. I can't tell for sure.
You need to make sure you have a ground strap from the engine block to the frame AND from the frame to the body at the front clip.
Don't try and test it without these grounds. You're wasting your time.

91frppgt

Reaction score
First Name
randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
l86
That's the right switch but that connector sure doesn't look right. That appears to be a window connector. I can't tell for sure.
You need to make sure you have a ground strap from the engine block to the frame AND from the frame to the body at the front clip.
Don't try and test it without these grounds. You're wasting your time.

That's what I was thinking. I'll see if I can find another connector.

Ground is fine on the truck. I have a ground strap from the motor to frame and frame to body at the front clip. All grounds are touching bare metal. This is the only electrical issue i'm having. The rest of the truck is wired. Truck runs and drives. Vintage air works fine, gauges, all lights.

For it to be acting the way it is, I do believe there is a grounding issue. I just need to figure out what is going on.

91frppgt

Reaction score
First Name
randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
l86
Can anyone tell me how the window motor is grounded? On the existing old harness to the windows, there is a black ground with a terminal. I wired it a ground on the steering column, and the ring terminal is wired on the front door channel bolt post. Still have something odd going on. When I ground the relay, the window is super slow.
Looks like I found another issue with the courtesy lights, those don't seem to be getting grounded either. I get 12v on white/orange constantly. I have all my grounds on the dash bolted to one of the bolts that hold the dash in, and its sanded to bare metal.

91frppgt

Reaction score
First Name
randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
l86
FYI both passenger and driver door are doing the same thing. Can rule out the switches.

91frppgt

Reaction score
First Name
randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
l86
I have noticed on the power window switch, I have 5 wires. Pink/brown/blue/bluewhite/lightbrown. I don't see any grounds on the switch itself. I have a new connector but didn't install it. Don't think it will change anything.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Window motors are grounded to the door frame.
You must be registered for see images attach

91frppgt

Reaction score
First Name
randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
l86
thats exactly how I have it hooked up. I have something else going on. Thanks for the response Snoots. Let me do some more digging.

91frppgt

Reaction score
First Name
randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
l86
If I unplug one relay it works as intended I believe. a full 12v and the motor sounds good. Once I plug the other relay back in, it acts funky.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Hey guys, new to the forum here.

I'm currently wiring a 77 C30 dually. Restored it, and swapped a gen5 6.2 in it with 8l60. I've got everything squared away but the power windows and locks. I did put the relays in the windows. I think I have a grounding issue going on, but not sure what that would be. The wires are hooked up correctly per the instructions. The windows function and go up and down fairly decent as wired to the instructions. If I unhook the ground from the relay, they go real slow much like the factory setup, so i've had the ground off while testing.

What i've noticed is the windows travel up real quickly and get 12v at the switch going up. It appears to work as intended. But going down, the windows get 6-7v and you can tell they are struggling.

The truck is charging correctly, and battery is a new interstate that is holding up. I acquired this truck without any wiring, i'm using a american autowire harness. I have the factory harness in the doors that I am currently using.

For the power locks, can I use a relay like for the power windows? The switches I have for the power lock doesn't fit the electrical connection. Do I have the wrong switch? I'm not seeing how the switch will plug into the electrical connection. The power locks have 3 wires. 1 appears to be constant power, the others are 12v for lock and unlock correct? I do know there is a relay in the factory trucks, but I'm fairly certain I don't have one in the truck.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Pics for attention.
That's a sweet set-up! Not sure on the 8 speed yet, although I love the 6L80's a whole lot! I'm sure you checked the factory harness going through the door into the cab?? Breakage there is very common, could be a partial broken wire, but I'm sure with the extent of $ & time you're putting into that build, you've probably checked that.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are you still using the original window motor from 77? Looks like this

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The lock switch you're showing is the 82 and up style switch. If you're using new lock actuators, it will work. If you have the old style actuator with the flat spade type connector you won't be able to use that switch. You need the high amp switch that fits the connector you're showing. This is the lock harness from my 77 K20

91frppgt

Reaction score
First Name
randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
l86
The lock switch you're showing is the 82 and up style switch. If you're using new lock actuators, it will work. If you have the old style actuator with the flat spade type connector you won't be able to use that switch. You need the high amp switch that fits the connector you're showing. This is the lock harness from my 77 K20

Yup thats the switch I originally had. The later switch I have has the spades in a 45' angle.

So I had figured out the issue. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND to watch this video if you are installing a LMC harness.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

91frppgt

Reaction score
First Name
randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
l86

I'm using the old actuators. I was going to get the later pigtails and wire them in. Or do I need to get the correct switch.

Also, can I just use a 30amp 5pin relay to trigger these locks? I will need 2 of them correct? 1 for lock, and 1 for unlock?

Thanks for all you guy's help. Really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128