Adding lower anchor points to the bed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXJ6V6T/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_nYkPEbE9JFBZE

I bought these off Amazon to add some low down anchor points in my 84 k10 bed. I'm sick of not being able to anchor down anything that's lower than the bed sides. Yesterday it was a load of wood.

Has anybody else done anything like this? What have you added to your bed to improve function?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You anchor wood? Ive always just sent it... maybe not safe in an accident but if it doesnt fly away on its own ive typically leave things be. But it doesnt look like a bad idea at all imo. Ive added the bedside anchors to my f150 for tarping stuff I dont want wet, just makes an easier mount. Do you have a toolbox? Perhaps mounting anchors to the toolbox for added functionality(Make sure not to weight bare on toolbox, as typically those arent held in with a lot, but like a tarp or net wouldnt hurt.)

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
My only suggestion with those for additional peace of mind is to use flat stock on the underside or backside to sandwich the bed metal and spread the load instead of single bolts and washers.

Where are you planning to mount these?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have the tee handle type on the side of my bed, I think they are meant more for rope than straps, but straps work just fine. I don't have a really good picture of them though if I think of it I'll grab one later, but these are on the outside of the bed. For me I doubt I'd use attachment points inside the bed because it is so rare that I haul smaller loads / items. I do have a friend with a 07 ram, which has factory anchor points inside each corner. After loading up both our trucks with fire wood we secured my load then went to do his and realized his were buried in fire wood. So I had to loan him a couple of my long straps so he could go off the underside. My moral is if you have attachment points in your bed and your going to haul a larger load put your straps on the attachment points before you load up!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My only suggestion with those for additional peace of mind is to use flat stock on the underside or backside to sandwich the bed metal and spread the load instead of single bolts and washers.

Maybe attaching them where the bed meets frame?

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0

I have some 3/16 flat stock I plan on putting on the back side. I'm attaching a photo of where I'm planning on putting these. On the floor of the bed, but tucked away in front of and behind the wheel well.

But on both the driver's and passengers side of course.

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have some 3/16 flat stock I plan on putting on the back side. I'm attaching a photo of where I'm planning on putting these. On the floor of the bed, but tucked away in front of and behind the wheel well.

But on both the driver's and passengers side of course.

You must be registered for see images attach
Do you have saddle tanks? Just know your one location is directly over a driver side tank.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
You anchor wood? Ive always just sent it... maybe not safe in an accident but if it doesnt fly away on its own ive typically leave things be. But it doesnt look like a bad idea at all imo. Ive added the bedside anchors to my f150 for tarping stuff I dont want wet, just makes an easier mount. Do you have a toolbox? Perhaps mounting anchors to the toolbox for added functionality(Make sure not to weight bare on toolbox, as typically those arent held in with a lot, but like a tarp or net wouldnt hurt.)

I don't have a tool box in the truck. This is really just for peace of mind. Sometimes I also haul stuff like loose bamboo flooring that I need to keep from sliding around too much. Last time I ended up placing my spare tire on top of the pile so I would be higher than the bed side. Then I strapped the tire down.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Do you have saddle tanks? Just know your one location is directly over a driver side tank.

Hmm... I didn't consider that. I only looked at accessibility on the passenger side. I don't know what saddle tanks are. But, I have the single gas tank.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hmm... I didn't consider that. I only looked at accessibility on the passenger side. I don't know what saddle tanks are. But, I have the single gas tank.
Single gas tank came as side tanks, called saddle. Could come on both sides or just one(passenger i believe) or one in the rear which would fill in the license plate, I think. Or at least just reside in the rear

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Single gas tank came as side tanks, called saddle. Could come on both sides or just one(passenger i believe) or one in the rear which would fill in the license plate, I think. Or at least just reside in the rear

The standard tank in the 70's was on the passenger side. At some point in the early 80's, the standard tank was installed on the drivers side.

@Green79Scottsdale made some bed anchors I think. They installed where the bedsides met the front bulkhead.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The standard tank in the 70's was on the passenger side. At some point in the early 80's, the standard tank was installed on the drivers side.

@Green79Scottsdale made some bed anchors I think. They installed where the bedsides met the front bulkhead.

I did. And I never ended up installing them for some reason. Damn @bucket, you got a good memory. I will dig around the garage tomorrow and see if I have them laying around still.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I did. And I never ended up installing them for some reason. Damn @bucket, you got a good memory. I will dig around the garage tomorrow and see if I have them laying around still.

Some things I manage to retain, others not so much.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
I found these several years ago, and installed them in my SOB ranch truck, but they started to rust and corrode because they were CCC. I found that Camping World has the same loops, but theirs are Stainless.

P.S. I have no business affiliation with Camping World.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I always put eye bolts in the bed floor. One at each corner and one immediately in front of and behind the inner wheel well. Around a dollar each at any hardware store and work well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising