Ac Delco ignition module not compatable wIth duralast distributor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 3/4 ton 5.7 350 suburban
Engine Size
Just put in a new ac delco ignition module I know that my distributor is a duralast . I can’t get the engine to start . Cranks but no start..... I decided to buy the acdelco ignition module because I recently put in a new duralast ignition module but was still having the occasional stall at a stop light . Any ideas?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Distributor brand should not matter. Maybe pickup coil in distributor?. It is an Often overlooked part that fails giving those symptoms like icm

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Distributor brand should not matter. Maybe pickup coil in distributor?. It is an Often overlooked part that fails giving those symptoms like icm
If i put my duralast ignition module back on I know it will start but it will stall out on me 1 out of 20 stop lights

But to your question can I replace the “pick up coil in the distributor ?

Thank you sir

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My duralast distributor is only a year old withe ignition module included when I got help putting that in it would stall out seldomly. Fast forward 10 months it was stalling out going down hill and at stop lights and slow speeds very often So I got a new replacement duralast ignition module. Been driving it a few weeks and only seldomly stalls out so that’s a good improvement. But the ac delco im seems incompatible

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Are you saying buy another distributor or is this a serviceable part?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Pickup coil is serviceable but requires the distributor to be removed. I'm not saying this is the problem but it's a possibility, there are ways of testing. And did you clean and use anything under the icm? Like a heat sink grease paste dielectric grease?

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Pickup coil is serviceable but requires the distributor to be removed. I'm not saying this is the problem but it's a possibility, there are ways of testing. And did you clean and use anything under the icm? Like a heat sink grease paste dielectric grease?
yes i used the white grease it came with

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Should i buy an ac delco distributor? Would i need to go through adjusting the timing or can i just drop the new diz in as long as the rotor is clocked exactly the same?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I don't want you to waste money. I don't know how to find it but there is a tec book on here somewhere. Should have trouble shooting guide.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
And I'm sorry for assuming this, but are you tbi?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I'd be looking over the connectors and wires from the ICM down to the main harness really well before I bought a new distributor. any ICM that is correct for your make/model/year/engine should work

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This happened to me with a standard HEI and i had accidently put the plug wires on 1 terminal over all through the firing order. You would think it would pop, backfire, or something but nope, just spun over. Something to check.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
This happened to me with a standard HEI and i had accidently put the plug wires on 1 terminal over all through the firing order. You would think it would pop, backfire, or something but nope, just spun over. Something to check.
I've done that before also!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've never run into a scenario like what you are describing, but I really can't see how it would be possible for an AC delco module not to work on a duralast distributor. Think about it. The pick up coil reads the reluctor wheel which sends a signal to the module. The module then fires the coil. That's a little over simplified, but I'd be looking for a problem with one of the connection to the module. Is there any chance one of the terminal slipped past the connector, or maybe the connector isn't holding tight on the terminal. Maybe you just got a new defect module.

Think of it from a manufacturing stand point. ALL the aftermarket modules, Standard, MSD, Accel, ect. All work with the original AC Delco / Delco Remy Distributors, if Duralast built a distributor that only a duralast module worked on there would be a lot of upset customers when they replaced there modules.

My vote it is not a compatibility issues and there is another problem. If you end up replacing the entire distributor an AC Delco would be great of course but they can be hard if not impossible to get. We have had good luck with Spectra distributors at the shop, they are manufactured by WIA. The only issue we have had is the suppressor isn't the best so we usually swap over the original unit.