Bad ignition switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
My sons K 20 has problems with ignition. They are only getting one volt to the distributor. The 16-year-old pulled the ignition switch and in the run position all were at zero ohms, which he thinks should be correct.
He reconnected the ignition switch at the column and was getting full battery voltage on the three places in this photo where his fingers are pointing to.

You must be registered for see images attach

The two silver prongs in the photo below that his thumb is pointing to should be getting a good ground from the column in the start position.
You must be registered for see images attach

The four other pins should be getting full battery voltage when in the start position but they are only getting one volt just like the distributor wire told us at the beginning.
Is the ignition switch bad and should we just purchase a new one to replace it with?

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i vote bad switch. They are roughly $20 anyway.

The four other pins should be getting full battery voltage when in the start position
based on your picture-
I think
bottom left (sol) - gets volts in start position - starter
top left (ign 1) - gets volts in start & run positions- includes you distributor
bottom right (ign 3)- gets volts in run position
top right (acc) - gets volts in run & acc positions

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
i vote bad switch. They are roughly $20 anyway.

based on your picture-
I think
bottom left (sol) - gets volts in start position - starter
top left (ign 1) - gets volts in start & run positions- includes you distributor
bottom right (ign 3)- gets volts in run position
top right (acc) - gets volts in run & acc positions
Thanks. All of those should be getting full battery voltage however, correct?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Plug the ignition switch back in ,run it through its travel with an awl,a screwdriver a nail whatever. If the truck starts and runs I suspect the ignition rack.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Looks like it may have been a bad ignition wire solder. Stay tuned

Gpaw44

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Where do you get an ignition switch. I don't think you can get a new deco switch or I have not ben able to find one. I have bought 2 at different parts houses and had to take them back. One the pins were wrong and the other one I could not get my plug to fit through the metal frame. I need up using my old one.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Where do you get an ignition switch. I don't think you can get a new deco switch or I have not ben able to find one. I have bought 2 at different parts houses and had to take them back. One the pins were wrong and the other one I could not get my plug to fit through the metal frame. I need up using my old one.
O'Reily's had them

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Plug the ignition switch back in ,run it through its travel with an awl,a screwdriver a nail whatever. If the truck starts and runs I suspect the ignition rack.
Would the ignition rack cause only 1v to get to the distributor wire?
He just replaced the pinon because he broke the plastic during column disassembly. The pinon came with a new rack, but not sure if he replaced it or just reinstalled the original.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Would the ignition rack cause only 1v to get to the distributor wire?
He just replaced the pinon because he broke the plastic during column disassembly. The pinon came with a new rack, but not sure if he replaced it or just reinstalled the original.
Lots of things can cause it. Yes the linkage in the column could cause it.and try running the truck via a awl in the switch would be a good diagnostic move

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1