A-pillar grab handles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So my wife always complains about not having anything to grab onto when getting into my K20. I have searched to no avail for a solution that was easy to install. There simply isn't any solutions for the squarebodies that I could find.

So- I made my own. I will state upfront that I own a tubing bender, nutsert kit, mig welder and tap/die set.

I used some 1 inch, .095 tubing and two be 5/16 course thread nutserts per side.

I had to make a "boss" out of 1/4 steel with a 5/16 hole that I tapped with threads. The A-pillar metal is at an odd angle to the window glass and the pillar isn't deep enough for a nutsert.

I put a slight bend in the upper end to follow the contour of the roof.

I found some nickel plated 3/4 plugs at the hardware store that finished the ends off nicely.

Hopefully the pics tell the story. The handle is super solid and functional. Two bolts and it's installed. I placed it so that it virtually disappears behind the A-pillar from the driver/passenger perspective.

My wife loves it's utility but commented that it looked a little "homemade".

Well, I happen to like them. They are simple, effective and cheap.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hotrodspdx

Reaction score
First Name
scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Great idea !! I think I'm gonna make one for the wife also :)

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I don’t think those handles look bad at all but I’ve discovered a little different solution. I find that a well placed finger gets them into the truck very quickly and if the finger trick doesn’t work the argument that ensues eliminates the trip.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Women... all that effort to help them and they criticize. The handle isn’t the problem. The women are. (Jk but seriously) It’s a good looking handle! Is it capped on the top? If not I’d cap it

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Women... all that effort to help them and they criticize. The handle isn’t the problem. The women are. (Jk but seriously) It’s a good looking handle! Is it capped on the top? If not I’d cap it

Capped! Flush mounted nickel plated brass plugs.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That’s what I thought I seen. Good looking. Haven’t seen caps like that

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So my wife always complains about not having anything to grab onto when getting into my K20. I have searched to no avail for a solution that was easy to install. There simply isn't any solutions for the squarebodies that I could find.

So- I made my own. I will state upfront that I own a tubing bender, nutsert kit, mig welder and tap/die set.

I used some 1 inch, .095 tubing and two be 5/16 course thread nutserts per side.

I had to make a "boss" out of 1/4 steel with a 5/16 hole that I tapped with threads. The A-pillar metal is at an odd angle to the window glass and the pillar isn't deep enough for a nutsert.

I put a slight bend in the upper end to follow the contour of the roof.

I found some nickel plated 3/4 plugs at the hardware store that finished the ends off nicely.

Hopefully the pics tell the story. The handle is super solid and functional. Two bolts and it's installed. I placed it so that it virtually disappears behind the A-pillar from the driver/passenger perspective.

My wife loves it's utility but commented that it looked a little "homemade".

Well, I happen to like them. They are simple, effective and cheap.

Lokar shifter? Or 465?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

With the Stay at home order extended for a month here I'm going to make a similar set tomorrow, but there will be a few differences. #1. I don't own a tubing bender #2. I'm going to use stuff I have on hand and avoid buying anything. Most of what I have hanging around is 3/4" tubing so I'll go with that and post an update with pics once I get going on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk