A-pillar grab handles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
update #1. Well I'm underway now. I've got the pipe cut, and mounting tabs welded on. Mine are going to end at the top of the A-pillar rather than curving around since I have no way of bending the pipe. I've also gone with wider mounting tabs because I'm heavy with bad knees so I wanted to make sure they'd take a good strong pull from my fat ass. My interior is tan. Damn, no tan spray paint. I almost went with white, but there is nothing on the truck that is white. The outside has black trim with a little chrome, the interior has brown trim, so I went with brown. Not my first choice but I promised I'd use stuff I already had on hand. I'm making 2 so I'll have one on each side. Paint is currently drying and it's pretty cold out so it'll be late day or tomorrow before I'll be able to install them.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Update #2 my brown paint wasn't all that brown, it was more of a reddish brown so I just painted them my third choice which is black. That'll have to do for now if I don't like it long term I'll pick up a can of tan. Unless something goes wrong with the install the next update should be pics of them installed.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What thickness metal are your tabs? Mine are 3/16 the and they are indestructible.

How do you plan to attach them to the A-pillar?

I have come to absolutely love my handles! Other square body guys have rode in my truck and it's all they talk about.

I'm looking forward to see your pics.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
What thickness metal are your tabs? Mine are 3/16 the and they are indestructible.

How do you plan to attach them to the A-pillar?

I have come to absolutely love my handles! Other square body guys have rode in my truck and it's all they talk about.

I'm looking forward to see your pics.

It's out of my scrap pile, but I'd guess 3/16 Part of the reason I went with that is the ability to have two mounting fasteners on each tab. As for attachment to the A-pillar, I'm prepared to go the same route you did if I need be. But first may try with some heavy duty self tappers, I have hanging around. I know that's not really ideal, but it easy if there is the space plus, there will be two at each bracket and I figure most of the wieght when pulled on will be on the side of the fastener not directly on the threads. If I do get self tappers in there I'll give it a good tug test and watch to make sure they stay tight. We'll see what happens, I don't want to end up in pile on the ground with the damn thing in my hand.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I guess I never thought about how to get in the truck easier myself. Since ive got no floorboard till about the accerlator pedal, I kinda step on the runner board/rocker that move ever so closer to breaking off and grab the wheel and kinda thrust myself upward toward the seat. but I can imagine id have to climb into the passenger side, but i have a functional runner board there. I dont sit in my own truck in passenger seat often.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Not as pretty as squareroots bars, and I off setted the tabs because I wanted mine just a little bit further inside the truck.
140115-5ff34c0c5e31d8c2f07a74a97e6a9264.jpg
140116-0a0f8b7915c44f341451036bb8ad867e.jpg

Here is the bar installed on the passenger side. If the mounting holes are close enough to the windshield there is enough space to run short self tapping screws in and that's what I've done. The metal is pretty thick so I think it'll be ok but I'll watch and see if it looses up over time.
You must be registered for see images attach

One thing I did not take into account on the drivers side is the dash pad sticks out more over the gauges. So the bar I made wouldn't fit, so I had to shorten it up.

You guys remember those leather or fake leather wraps you use to be able to get, the kind with the cord you'd wrap over the cover. I'm thinking if I can come up with one of those I may wrap the handles.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not as pretty as squareroots bars, and I off setted the tabs because I wanted mine just a little bit further inside the truck.
140115-5ff34c0c5e31d8c2f07a74a97e6a9264.jpg
140116-0a0f8b7915c44f341451036bb8ad867e.jpg

Here is the bar installed on the passenger side. If the mounting holes are close enough to the windshield there is enough space to run short self tapping screws in and that's what I've done. The metal is pretty thick so I think it'll be ok but I'll watch and see if it looses up over time.

One thing I did not take into account on the drivers side is the dash pad sticks out more over the gauges. So the bar I made wouldn't fit, so I had to shorten it up.

You guys remember those leather or fake leather wraps you use to be able to get, the kind with the cord you'd wrap over the cover. I'm thinking if I can come up with one of those I may wrap the handles.

You can still buy those fake steering wheel wraps. I know O'reilly's normally has them.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You can still buy those fake steering wheel wraps. I know O'reilly's normally has them.
Thanks for the info I just assumed since all newer cars since like the mid-90s have come with padded steering wheels that they wouldn't be around anymore but the o'reilly's website shows black, brown and tan in stock locally.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My 77 LTD had that wrap steering wheel cover. It disintegrated in matter of a couple of hours of use. haha.it was also prob 40 years old

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Awesome! I was gonna mention the issue with the driver side being shorter due to the rise in the dash pad but, I see you figured that out. I made a pair then realized there was less space beneath the driver side but, they turned out good and looks right.

The thing I like about this design I stumbled upon is that the angle they are mounted at makes them virtually disappear in front of the A-pillar from the driver/passenger point of view. And they're perfect for grabbing when entering/exiting.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My 77 LTD had that wrap steering wheel cover. It disintegrated in matter of a couple of hours of use. haha.it was also prob 40 years old

I've had them before on steering wheels and they seem to last a good long time, or at least they use to you never know with how somethings are made these days. I actually thought I'd like to get one for the steering wheel on the truck but assumed they wouldn't be available anymore. So I'll need to pick up two of them.

Awesome! I was gonna mention the issue with the driver side being shorter due to the rise in the dash pad but, I see you figured that out. I made a pair then realized there was less space beneath the driver side but, they turned out good and looks right.

The thing I like about this design I stumbled upon is that the angle they are mounted at makes them virtually disappear in front of the A-pillar from the driver/passenger point of view. And they're perfect for grabbing when entering/exiting.

Mine would disappear fairly well, at least in the main field of vision if it they were tan. I didn't really take a picture from the seated position though I went over some so you'd see more of the bar. Hey I never would have thought to make them if it weren't for your post. I was going to pick up some handles at the hardware store then realized the angle, and that wouldn't work. I really think they be great and I'll use them a ton. Thanks for sharing your good idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes