Cracking Paint at Door Handles Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey all. I hope everyone had a Happy Holiday. I noticed that the paint is starting to crack around the door handles because the door is flexing more. Im looking at LMC and I see on the parts breakdown #8 which is labeled as Bracket Door Pull Strap. Is this possibly worn and would make things stiffen up? I can use touch up paint if I can correct the flex. I attached the photo below. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6136.jpeg
    IMG_6136.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 26

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I'm guessing your talking exterior paint? If that's the case then nothing is going to help. These door just fatigue over time and the metal stretches around handle

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Those interior pull straps were weak from the beginning and did not hold up well over time. When I do replace them, I intend them only as cosmetic, meaning I use the armrest or the outside of the door to close. They pull the door panel and besides tearing away from the mounts, flex the vinyl and break the plastic retaining clips loose.
So, as MarineOne mentioned, we need some clarification. Are you talking about the interior or the exterior paint?

TruckCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Those interior pull straps were weak from the beginning and did not hold up well over time. When I do replace them, I intend them only as cosmetic, meaning I use the armrest or the outside of the door to close. They pull the door panel and besides tearing away from the mounts, flex the vinyl and break the plastic retaining clips loose.
So, as MarineOne mentioned, we need some clarification. Are you talking about the interior or the exterior paint?
Exterior. I attached a photo. Paint on the truck is mint. This is the only flaw. Driving me nuts!

Attachments

• IMG_6138.jpeg
    IMG_6138.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 47

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yep, that is cracking bondo.
Cracks are common when applied too thick, too much hardener, large temperature changes, and when metal is flexing.
Every truck I restore is only done to a driver grade level. My purpose is to keep squarebodies on the road, not in the garage or on a rotating pedestal, so I'm not a truck snob.
I avoid body filler around exterior door handle mounts if at all possible, and I would have replaced the handle gasket.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Definitely bondo Cracks. And what looks like single stage paint lacquer like

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, looks like a thin layer of cracking, low quality body filler. Either that or a too thick coat of low quality primer.

That's not an area that you want any filler at all. But, a very very thin amount is ok, *as long as* it's quality materials and the prep work is done properly.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, there should be a stiffener plate bonded to the backside of the door skin, to strengthen the area around the door handle. If the door skin has been replaced, it may not be there.

82BBC20

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado
Engine Size
Looks more like body filler cracking out, bad area to repair using more than a skim coat of filler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod