92 K case 700R4 tear down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
so i bought a 1992 Chevy full size Blazer/Tahoe and I've had to change the rear end and now the transmission so ill be tearing it down hopefully tomorrow but i took some pictures for you guys on how i made a transmission stand to hold it up without fear of it falling over and i will be documenting any special tools i will have to fab up for the tear down process so you can rebuild them your self so without further gilding the Lilly here is my progress so far.

First i started with 8 3 foot lengths of 5/8 x 5/8 square tubing i cut 4 of them 9 inches long and then i cut a piece of 1 1/2 inch flat bar 3 inches and drilled a hole in the center for a 3/8 bolt to fit in and tack welded 2 pieces of the square tubing to the flat plate flush on one side

then i cut 2 more pieces 10 inches and tacked them to the pieces i made with the flat bar and put 1 bold and 2 nuts in the hole and welded the nut on the inside to the flat plate and the other nut to the bolt so i could remove the support after the rebuild is done
You must be registered for see images attach

after that i took a big piece of pipe and welded it in the center of the 2 cross bars the width of the bell housing and found a pipe that fit inside of it snug enough i was able to rotate it 360 degrees with little to no effort

once that was done i welded nuts to each side of the square tubing on the top so i could keep the bracket from moving with the transmission locked in the up right position

i already had a stand made for holding my 55 gallon drum up for a parts washer so i used that drilled holes in it and the small pipe so i could the the transmission and the pipe in one spot so i was able to move the transmission from pan side down to pan side up and lock it in place with a bolt or set pin just like you would with an engine stand

so tomorrow i will building a drain pan for the bottom so i have no mess on the ground from transmission fluid and then ill be pulling it apart and will post back with more walk through for you guys hope you enjoy what Ive done so far.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool, You're off and runnin'. Did you find the ID # on the passenger side of the case??? What is your complete #? If I or anyone else has knowledge on that one that is code specific, we can let you know. I do see the big K passenger side, that's a good thing.

Moved to Automatic Transmission if you had this thread bookmarked. It now changed so you'll need to bookmark it again, but you're still subscribed. :waytogo:

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
thanks hotrod ill go get that number for you right now if i can read the dang thang lol

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
ok so the numbers are in order
transmission from the Blazer/Tahoe are 2KJM338B
transmission from craigslist 9TXM063C
my question is what year are they and which one is gonna be better i plan on rebuilding the Blazer/Tahoe transmission first

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
my other question is could this be used to build clutch packs then install them in the drums MY FIL used this tool to rebuild AODs ( ford transmission) but i told him the 700r4 is different in that aspect but refuses to listen to me even though i watched the videos and read the articles on this transmission

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
my other question is could this be used to build clutch packs then install them in the drums MY FIL used this tool to rebuild AODs ( ford transmission) but i told him the 700r4 is different in that aspect but refuses to listen to me even though i watched the videos and read the articles on this transmission

Yep, that's a hagerty Snapress. That's what I use. You will have to raise the lever assemboly up higher and need the deep drum adapter, or improvise. I've lost my deep drum adapter and need to buy another one. I'll actually probably just end up buying the new design extensions that retrofit onto the same press. I've had mine for alomst 25 years and still use it today. Works great.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is a pic of the new extension design. Notice they are longer? They have a longer reach into the deeper drums.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
So that's a tool I'll need to build the clutches then?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So that's a tool I'll need to build the clutches then?

Yes, that's the clutch spring compressor. You have the press already. All you reall need is either those new design arms that will retrofit yours, or improvise and make some kind of extensions for your current press. It can be done. If you build that bracket carrier mahjiggy, surely you can make some extensions for the current fingers on the press you have.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
That would be super easy now that I have acess to proper parts and tools

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's you a pic of that old style works, which is what you've got. I too need to make me some more, or buy them longer reach ones for the deep drums.

attachment.php

Attachments

• T400Assembly 022.jpg
    T400Assembly 022.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 347

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Tomorrow the tear down begings and expect a lot of pics and explanations how I did what I did see you guys tomorrow

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
here is an exploded view of what im up against