92 K case 700R4 tear down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Those are good exploits. You know what those usually do??? Scare the **** outta people and then get out the phone book and call around for prices to get it done. :laughing1: But yes, they're good. I'll be duplicating those. I also have some good ones that are broke down in sections. Like the Planets, then the drums, then the pump, then the vavle body. They are just bigger and a bit more detail than most. Now these are good detail though. I'd love to have posters of those. I do hope soon to be building transmission like a sumbish, getting me a deal with a shipper, make a jig for crates, and I'm thinking seriously about doing nothing but Th350, Th400 and 700r4 Transmissions. I"d love to do 4L60-E's too, but being they are computer controlled, a computer issue can make me look bad or someone trash a trans then expect me to warranty it. I have ideas, but someday. I'll have to do something to supplement my disability.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
they help me make sure i have all the parts in. i print them and highlight as i go and when i revers the process i cross it off so i know i have it 100% right

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
they help me make sure i have all the parts in. i print them and highlight as i go and when i revers the process i cross it off so i know i have it 100% right

Yep, they make good checklists.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Keep your eye open tomorrow is the day I pull it all apart any more last words of wisdom from the ol mighty hotrod

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Keep your eye open tomorrow is the day I pull it all apart any more last words of wisdom from the ol mighty hotrod

Have a big hammer nearby and a bottle of Tylenol.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Oh I will I put a fresh memeroy card in my phone just for tomorrow because this thread is for hotrod to sticky once its all done because 7000r4 is the only transmission not rebuilt on this forum that I could find

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
ok loading pictures now ill be doing the write up as soon as they are done uploading see you all back here in a few more minuets

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
With out and further delay here is how i tore my 700R4 down it took me about 2 hours to completely disassemble the transmission from start to finish.
tools needed
8mm socket
13mm socket
15mm end wrench
snap ring pilers
compression tool
small pick
and a custom made lifting tool ( for clutches ) pic below
You must be registered for see images attach

Step 1: Drain all fluid plug all holes and pressure wash with engine gunk so you don't get the parts dirty.
Step 2: While the transmission is drying clean your work area and lay some shop towels or something down so you have a good place to set down the parts as you pull them.
Step 3: Remove the governor using a flat head screw driver and hammer on the lip of the cover just like you would remove front hub bearing covers

Step 4: Remove the snap ring holding the 2-4 servo using a small flat head screw driver and hammer in one of the slots and then get a pair of channel lock pliers and carefully wiggle the servo till you can see the O-ring then use a small dentist pick or something small with a good point so you can pull the o-ring up then wiggle the servo till it comes out.

Step 5: Remove trans pan and filter then remove the wires from the solenoids on the valve body and put it off to the side.
Step 6: Remove shifter selector that's inside the transmission
Step 7: Loosen all the bolts that hold down the valve body till you can pull them up a little from there holes.
Step 8: make sure the transmission is completely flat with valve body facing up so that when you remove the valve body you don't lose any check balls.
Step 9: Remove separator plate from the transmission and take pics of where all the check balls are sitting so you have a reference on where to install them when you go to put it back together.

Step 10: Now stand the transmission straight up so you can pull the bolts for the pump remove them all. once all the bolts are out pry gently under the pump to break the seal and pull the pump up and out

Step 11: Pull the input drum out to revel the sun-shell and 2-4 ban remove the 2-4 ban then remove the snap ring so you can pull the reaction shell out

Step 12: Remove the snap ring from the input drum so you can pull the clutches out take note of the order of the clutches and steels so you install them correctly.

Step 13: Now you have to compress the springs to remove the snap ring from the spring pack there you will want some kind of spring compressor like this is best.

Step 14: Remove the snap ring holding down the reverse clutch pack

well there is how i pulled my transmission apart now time for carnage photos

The one on top is a pic of the 2-4 band

Thanks for reading all this mess as soon as i get the parts here ill show the rebuild stay tuned :greenchainsaw:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Terrific post, good job. :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
With out and further delay here is how i tore my 700R4 down it took me about 2 hours to completely disassemble the transmission from start to finish.
tools needed
8mm socket
13mm socket
15mm end wrench
snap ring pilers
compression tool
small pick
and a custom made lifting tool ( for clutches ) pic below

Step 1: Drain all fluid plug all holes and pressure wash with engine gunk so you don't get the parts dirty.
Step 2: While the transmission is drying clean your work area and lay some shop towels or something down so you have a good place to set down the parts as you pull them.
Step 3: Remove the governor using a flat head screw driver and hammer on the lip of the cover just like you would remove front hub bearing covers

Step 4: Remove the snap ring holding the 2-4 servo using a small flat head screw driver and hammer in one of the slots and then get a pair of channel lock pliers and carefully wiggle the servo till you can see the O-ring then use a small dentist pick or something small with a good point so you can pull the o-ring up then wiggle the servo till it comes out.

Step 5: Remove trans pan and filter then remove the wires from the solenoids on the valve body and put it off to the side.
Step 6: Remove shifter selector that's inside the transmission
Step 7: Loosen all the bolts that hold down the valve body till you can pull them up a little from there holes.
Step 8: make sure the transmission is completely flat with valve body facing up so that when you remove the valve body you don't lose any check balls.
Step 9: Remove separator plate from the transmission and take pics of where all the check balls are sitting so you have a reference on where to install them when you go to put it back together.

Step 10: Now stand the transmission straight up so you can pull the bolts for the pump remove them all. once all the bolts are out pry gently under the pump to break the seal and pull the pump up and out

Step 11: Pull the input drum out to revel the sun-shell and 2-4 ban remove the 2-4 ban then remove the snap ring so you can pull the reaction shell out

Step 12: Remove the snap ring from the input drum so you can pull the clutches out take note of the order of the clutches and steels so you install them correctly.

Step 13: Now you have to compress the springs to remove the snap ring from the spring pack there you will want some kind of spring compressor like this is best.

Step 14: Remove the snap ring holding down the reverse clutch pack

well there is how i pulled my transmission apart now time for carnage photos

The one on top is a pic of the 2-4 band

Thanks for reading all this mess as soon as i get the parts here ill show the rebuild stay tuned :greenchainsaw:
That bitch was burnt the fugg up. Severe Overheat Killed that one. By the looks of that drum, the band stayed on when it wasn't supposed to. That's a sign of a valve body or valve failure. Leak or something caused the band to stay on. The trans was like hung up in more than 1 gear at a time.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
I took all them pics for you hotrod so you can make a sticky of it I ordered the rebuild kit and now I'm sourcing the drums because the one the 2-4 band sits on has massive groves in it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay